The Student Room Group

School wont predict AAA because they use their own grade boundaries.

So for my psychology mock, I got 73% which was a B... it was the locked paper and the boundaries from there clearly indicate that I should be getting an A.

For my biology, I got 69%, and they predicted me a "B2" (Low B)

Chemistry I got 70% - B.

In order for them to predict me an A I have to get multiple A*'s, which on their grade boundaries is like, 85-90%! I'm just not capable of doing that and I don't want to put that amount of effort in, because I know it will frustrate me. I'm happy with an A.

I just have felt so demotivated. Like, my own school doesn't even believe in me. 😢

This is a grammar school, so the grade boundaries when compared to the rest of the class are high.
I was 1-2% off an A in every. single. exam. (On their spekl grade boundaries UwU)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ColtTheWolf
So for my psychology mock, I got 73% which was a B... it was the locked paper and the boundaries from there clearly indicate that I should be getting an A.

Chemistry I got 70% - B.

In order for them to predict me an A I have to get multiple A*'s, which on their grade boundaries is like, 85-90%! I'm just not capable of doing that and I don't want to put that amount of effort in, because I know it will frustrate me. I'm happy with an A.

I just have felt so demotivated. Like, my own school doesn't even believe in me. 😢

This is a grammar school, so the grade boundaries when compared to the rest of the class are high.
I was 1-2% off an A in every. single. exam. (On their spekl grade boundaries UwU)

That's annoying but it's more important what you actually achieve in your A level exams not what your school predictions are. Most unis will still give offers to people whose predicted grades are slightly below what they say they are looking for, since exam predictions are not an exact science.

Do you know yet what sort of unis you are going to be applying to?
Original post by harrysbar
That's annoying but it's more important what you actually achieve in your A level exams not what your school predictions are. Most unis will still give offers to people whose predicted grades are slightly below what they say they are looking for, since exam predictions are not an exact science.

Do you know yet what sort of unis you are going to be applying to?

Currently, I'm looking at pharmacy which essentially needs ABB-AAA...

> Bath
> Strathclyde
> UCL

A few more but I'm struggling to list them off the top of my head. Still trying to decide and am booking open days.
Currently, I'm looking at pharmacy which essentially needs ABB-AAA...

> Bath
> Strathclyde
> UCL

A few more but I'm struggling to list them off the top of my head. Still trying to decide and am booking open days.

They're very good unis but will still show some flexibility in their offers and you may be able to persuade your school to predict you one A at least? I know some schools don't like to mark mocks too generously as they think it makes students complacent - but they still predict them decent grades on the UCAS form when it comes to it, so I hope your school will do that for you.

It's a good idea to start going to Open Days asap

Chemistry I got 70% - B.

Your school is correctly predicting what they think you will achieve based on your results. You havent achieved As so why do you expect them to predict you will achieve them. You need to accept your responsibility for not achieving the necessary results not trying to blame others.
Assuming the exam I had written was the final exam, it would have been graded as an A.

Assuming I had written that exam and gotten the same result at any other school it would have been an A. I got 73% average using the 2018 AS papers (AQA). That's not a B...

It would be useful if you understood my frustration and reasoning rather than attacking me, thanks.
Original post by swanseajack1
Your school is correctly predicting what they think you will achieve based on your results. You havent achieved As so why do you expect them to predict you will achieve them. You need to accept your responsibility for not achieving the necessary results not trying to blame others.
(edited 4 years ago)
Biology grade boundaries are usually like 64% for an A*
Chemistry tends to live at high 80s
Yeah, I wouldn't expect an A* for either of them but I was hoping they'd at least have given me an A...

Oh well.
Original post by Meowstic
Biology grade boundaries are usually like 64% for an A*
Chemistry tends to live at high 80s
There is absolutely no benefit whatsoever in schools predicting lower grades and doing so is against their interest. However teachers are professionals and have a professional duty to accurately predict a students likely result. It is time to grow up and accept your school have made an assessment of your performance which is below what your wish for. Exam boundaries change year on year so you cannot use them as examples. Teachers have many years experience of predicting grades and evidence shows that students are likely achieve lower than their predicted grades
Yeah, I wouldn't expect an A* for either of them but I was hoping they'd at least have given me an A...

Oh well.
(edited 4 years ago)
To be fair I understand your frustration as you are actually working to an A. Like Harrysbar said try to argue your case as according to official mark schemes you would of got the grades. Whatever they end up predicting you I would still apply for these universities, and if they reject your offer you can go through clearing/adjustment/gap year to try get a place at these universities. Which subject do you want to study at university out of interest?
Assuming the exam I had written was the final exam, it would have been graded as an A.

Assuming I had written that exam and gotten the same result at any other school it would have been an A. I got 73% average using the 2018 AS papers (AQA). That's not a B...

It would be useful if you understood my frustration and reasoning rather than attacking me, thanks.

Chemistry I got 70% - B.

How do you know the boundaries from the locked papers?
You're telling me I can't use the grade boundaries for the 2018 paper to look at my result for the 2018 paper?

My school gives "Target grades" as well as predicted grades. My target grade is an A and my predicted is a B, however in the comments it says "Colt is expected to reach or even exceed his target grade of an A"

But my predicted is still a B.

This is why I'm getting confused.
Original post by swanseajack1
There is absolutely no benefit whatsoever in schools predicting lower grades and doing so is against their interest. However teachers are professionals and have a professional duty to accurately predict a students likely result. It is time to grow up and accept your school have made an assessment of your performance which is below what your wish for. Exam boundaries change year on year so you cannot use them as examples. Teachers have many years experience of predicting grades and evidence shows that students are likely achieve lower than their predicted grades
Original post by Muttley79
How do you know the boundaries from the locked papers?

Teachers gave them to us.
Teachers gave them to us.

Perhaps your work during the year is not always a grade A?
Original post by Themysticalegg
To be fair I understand your frustration as you are actually working to an A. Like Harrysbar said try to argue your case as according to official mark schemes you would of got the grades. Whatever they end up predicting you I would still apply for these universities, and if they reject your offer you can go through clearing/adjustment/gap year to try get a place at these universities. Which subject do you want to study at university out of interest?

I'm hoping to study Pharmacy. But I would like to go to a good university.

My GCSE grades are mostly A*'s and a few A's, if that's any relevance.
No, it definitely wasn't. I started out very poorly, but my results throughout the year show constant improvement;

E, C, Low B, Mid B, High B (Mark off an A)

Following that trend it's make sense to assume I'd improve by that mark.
Original post by Muttley79
Perhaps your work during the year is not always a grade A?
No, it definitely wasn't. I started out very poorly, but my results throughout the year show constant improvement;

E, C, Low B, Mid B, High B (Mark off an A)

Following that trend it's make sense to assume I'd improve by that mark.

No it doesn't - sometimes students hit a ceiling. Ask what you need to do to get a grade A predicition - maybe another test in September? I'm a teacher and I am held to account for my predictions.
Which papers were you given in this year's exams @ColtTheWolf? If it was last year's AS papers, then your teachers may well be reluctant to extrapolate too high grades for you.

You still have another two half terms to impress your teachers that you are working at - and can maintain - grade A work. They will most likely formulate their predicted grades for your UCAS application by the beginning to the middle of November, so you have 5 months left to prove to them that you are an A student.

Ultimately, of course, the only grades that count are the ones you'll find inside that envelope on 13 August 2020. Do your best as you work towards the exams this time next year, and follow your teachers' advice along the way.

I think you should apply with your predicted garde. (not sure what they are). I applied for pharmacy at Nottingham with BBB predicted and I still got an offer.
Original post by 学生の父
Which papers were you given in this year's exams @ColtTheWolf? If it was last year's AS papers, then your teachers may well be reluctant to extrapolate too high grades for you.

You still have another two half terms to impress your teachers
that you are working at - and can maintain - grade A work.

He may well not have 5 months since teachers may write their predicted grades in September. Many students in a grammar school will want their grades to be predicted earlier than November, but agree that he has the rest of this academic year at least to impress his teachers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending