The Student Room Group

Saying I love you

I've been dating my boyfriend for more than 3 months now and I've confessed to him that I love him but he hasn't said it back as he said he's 'more reserved in saying those words'.
My other 2 friends have already confessed their love for their partners and its been recipricated after they've been dating for around 3 months or even less.

Did I say it too early? Should I be worried? It gets me a little down because he still hasn't said it back and it makes me feel like I like him more than he likes me.
It depends on you but I’m just like your boyfriend and I wouldn’t say it early on the relationship since it means more to me. I think 3 months is too early to fall in love with someone
Reply 2
I wouldn't worry, words don't always mean everything. Like people say Actions speak louder than words and as long as you are happy and feel loved thats what matters.
Reply 3
That's true, thank you for your advice, I guess everyone works in different ways and falls in love differently.
Original post by GreenBell
It depends on you but I’m just like your boyfriend and I wouldn’t say it early on the relationship since it means more to me. I think 3 months is too early to fall in love with someone
Reply 4
Yes that is so true we both care about each other a lot and are happy with each other, I just have to stop overthinking these things
Original post by k4i.w
I wouldn't worry, words don't always mean everything. Like people say Actions speak louder than words and as long as you are happy and feel loved thats what matters.
Original post by kv1234
I've been dating my boyfriend for more than 3 months now and I've confessed to him that I love him but he hasn't said it back as he said he's 'more reserved in saying those words'.
My other 2 friends have already confessed their love for their partners and its been recipricated after they've been dating for around 3 months or even less.

Did I say it too early? Should I be worried? It gets me a little down because he still hasn't said it back and it makes me feel like I like him more than he likes me.

It's great that you felt comfortable enough to express your feelings. However, not everyone is as open with their emotions, and some people put a lot of meaning and symbolic weight behind the phrase 'I love you'. He may not feel ready, and putting expectations on it like "if he hasn't said it after 4 months, he obviously doesn't feel the same way" will just build unnecessary resentment. Everyone's relationship is different, including his or your past relationships, so comparing yours to others' won't help.

I recommend that you discuss how you feel with your boyfriend, as he is the only one who can reassure you, but make sure that you don't put pressure on him or make him feel bad for not saying it yet.
Reply 6
Thank you for your advice, I will stop comparing us to other relationships. How should I mention this to him in conversation as I don’t want to come across in the wrong way?
Original post by PhoenixFortune
It's great that you felt comfortable enough to express your feelings. However, not everyone is as open with their emotions, and some people put a lot of meaning and symbolic weight behind the phrase 'I love you'. He may not feel ready, and putting expectations on it like "if he hasn't said it after 4 months, he obviously doesn't feel the same way" will just build unnecessary resentment. Everyone's relationship is different, including his or your past relationships, so comparing yours to others' won't help.

I recommend that you discuss how you feel with your boyfriend, as he is the only one who can reassure you, but make sure that you don't put pressure on him or make him feel bad for not saying it yet.
Original post by kv1234
Thank you for your advice, I will stop comparing us to other relationships. How should I mention this to him in conversation as I don’t want to come across in the wrong way?

Maybe just say that you want to talk about how you've been feeling, and that you want to be open about it all. You can tell him that you don't expect a response as such, but just that he listen and understand if possible.
Reply 8
It might mean something more than just 3 words, even for me.
The whole phrase is quiet big and it is meant to be meaningful and genuine

Maybe he just feels that he isnt ready to say it to you but he knows that he does love you deeply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending