The Student Room Group

Condom help

I need to buy condoms for me and my boyfriend. I’m under 18 and have social anxiety so I’m just concerned this may be a very awkward interaction with the cashier. I know what I want to buy but am nervous as I’m worried they’ll question my age or just judge me in general. I’m aware I should probably feel more mature about this and shrug it off but it’s more that I’m worried about them preventing me from buying them and, while they cannot legally do this, I’m just worried they’ll ask for age or turn me down and that’ll be really awkward. It’s like I feel dirty because you never really witness people buying condoms (or is that just me) so I’m worried about how it’ll come across.
Before we agreed getting condoms was my boyfriend’s responsibility and mine was getting lubricant if I wanted to but he hasn’t had any opportunity to get any so I have to. Any advice?
Reply 1
Hi there,

The cashiers won’t question anything nor probably say anything. Don’t forget they probably deal with this on a daily basis so they are used to it and it’s a normal thing so they don’t judge.

Even if you are under the age of 16 they will still sell you condoms since they’d rather you had protected sex to stop pregnancy than question you and not provide you with any.

You can also buy them online on websites such as Amazon but don’t forget to get these from reputable brands such as Durex!

To sum up, they won’t ask for your age. They won’t judge you nor will anyone else. It’s completely normal (you not seeing anyone buying them is just you, ask a Boots cashier and they will give you a different opinion). If you are still worried buy online.

Hope this helps

Joe
Reply 2
Original post by Joe_01
Hi there,

The cashiers won’t question anything nor probably say anything. Don’t forget they probably deal with this on a daily basis so they are used to it and it’s a normal thing so they don’t judge.

Even if you are under the age of 16 they will still sell you condoms since they’d rather you had protected sex to stop pregnancy than question you and not provide you with any.

You can also buy them online on websites such as Amazon but don’t forget to get these from reputable brands such as Durex!

To sum up, they won’t ask for your age. They won’t judge you nor will anyone else. It’s completely normal (you not seeing anyone buying them is just you, ask a Boots cashier and they will give you a different opinion). If you are still worried buy online.

Hope this helps

Joe

Thank you this very is reassuring
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I need to buy condoms for me and my boyfriend. I’m under 18 and have social anxiety so I’m just concerned this may be a very awkward interaction with the cashier. I know what I want to buy but am nervous as I’m worried they’ll question my age or just judge me in general. I’m aware I should probably feel more mature about this and shrug it off but it’s more that I’m worried about them preventing me from buying them and, while they cannot legally do this, I’m just worried they’ll ask for age or turn me down and that’ll be really awkward. It’s like I feel dirty because you never really witness people buying condoms (or is that just me) so I’m worried about how it’ll come across.
Before we agreed getting condoms was my boyfriend’s responsibility and mine was getting lubricant if I wanted to but he hasn’t had any opportunity to get any so I have to. Any advice?

The cashier will definitely not get involved in your business or ask you questions. They are used to selling stuff all day every day. No need to worry.
I used to work at boots, and I dealt with this on a daily basis. Don't be afraid, they won't ask you any questions. We would much rather you be using condoms :smile: I can completely understand that it might make you feel awkward but all they will do is scan it through and ask you for the money. Or try finding a store that has self service checkouts. :smile: honestly please don't worry about it :smile: its better to be safe.
Reply 5
Original post by EmilyLouiseR
I used to work at boots, and I dealt with this on a daily basis. Don't be afraid, they won't ask you any questions. We would much rather you be using condoms :smile: I can completely understand that it might make you feel awkward but all they will do is scan it through and ask you for the money. Or try finding a store that has self service checkouts. :smile: honestly please don't worry about it :smile: its better to be safe.

Thanks so much :smile:
You could always go to one of the dispensers in some toilets?

Quick Reply

Latest