The Student Room Group

Messed up my A levels, what should I do?

I had some personal issues this year so I didn't get the grades I wanted. I was expecting an A* for 2 of my subjects, but I only got A*BC (English literature, history, music).

I'm happy with my English lit result, of course, but history was a lot lower than I expected. I have considered resitting history, but music was so difficult, I don't think I could improve it much at all. I'm also aware that some unis only care about the first result you get, or so I've heard.

I know I'm capable of so much more, which is why I'm so frustrated with these results. I don't know if it is better to resit history and take on another A level subject (and fast-track it possibly), so that I can keep my English lit result, or start over again with 3 new subjects and do another 2 years. Although I haven't applied yet, I am planning on going to uni and studying philosophy/ English lit and philosophy.

I'd be very glad to hear any advice. Thank you
Unis care about the grade, not how many times you've redone it :wink:. History was easy this year but you can take your chances.
Original post by LostStudentHelp1
Unis care about the grade, not how many times you've redone it :wink:. History was easy this year but you can take your chances.

This isn't strictly true, retaking could disadvantage applications to many courses. It'd be best to check with anywhere they are considering applying to before committing to retakes.
Original post by AppleCrumble2001
I had some personal issues this year so I didn't get the grades I wanted. I was expecting an A* for 2 of my subjects, but I only got A*BC (English literature, history, music

I'm happy with my English lit result, of course, but history was a lot lower than I expected. I have considered resitting history, but music was so difficult, I don't think I could improve it much at all. I'm also aware that some unis only care about the first result you get, or so I've heard.

I know I'm capable of so much more, which is why I'm so frustrated with these results. I don't know if it is better to resit history and take on another A level subject (and fast-track it possibly), so that I can keep my English lit result, or start over again with 3 new subjects and do another 2 years. Although I haven't applied yet, I am planning on going to uni and studying philosophy/ English lit and philosophy.

Have a search through clearing. You should be able to get into decent universities with these grades.
I had some personal issues this year so I didn't get the grades I wanted. I was expecting an A* for 2 of my subjects, but I only got A*BC (English literature, history, music).

Kent, Liverpool, Reading, Royal Holloway, Southampton, and Sussex are all showing grades around the same as yours.

Hey there :smile:
Congratulations on your results, honestly you still did really well even though you might not feel as though you did! A levels are pretty tough so don't beat yourself up too much.
As @swanseajack1 has said, the University of Kent's entry requirements for English Lit and Philosophy fit your grades. I've just finished my third year at Kent and really loved my time here. Kent also ranks relatively high for both English and Philosophy as well :smile: I'll leave the links to the course information pages below in case you'd like to check them out at all :smile: good luck with everything!
English Lit: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/3753/english-literature

Philosophy: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/20/philosophy#entry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending