The Student Room Group

I don't trust my withdrawal bleed, I think I'm still pregnant

I can't seem to be fully at peace with the withdrawal bleed since I've read that it doesn't rule out pregnancy completely. I haven't missed any withdrawal bleed, they always come on the placebo week, the same day. Yes, my periods have become lighter and much less painful but I thought it could be thanks to the pill. My breasts haven't stopped hurting since I started on bc tough, which is why I am so worried about pregnancy right now. How do non-anxious people deal with this? I have friends that are on bc too, and the withdrawal bleed seems just enough for them to be at ease. But I can't deal with the stress!
Should I trust my withdrawal bleed? Is that truly enough to rule out pregnancy? The panflet on the bc box says to take a pregnancy test IF two periods in a row are missing, not every month! I don't want to take a pregnancy test, I'd like to think in my circumstances its pretty unlikely to be pregnant. I really do need some reassurance and information. Thanks.
No offence, but it sounds like no amount of reassurance will put you at ease about this. Maybe using condoms in addition to the pill will help?
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
No offence, but it sounds like no amount of reassurance will put you at ease about this. Maybe using condoms in addition to the pill will help?

Yeah, I use them every time
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, I use them every time

In that case, the chances of you getting pregnant are incredibly low.
From the protective measures you've described and due to this to being a recurring fear for you: you are absolutely not pregnant.

However, this irrational concern is negatively impacting your life so I'd talk to your doctor about this and your concerns.

Try to do something to take your mind off it and do something relaxing but do pop along to the doctor.

:smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I can't seem to be fully at peace with the withdrawal bleed since I've read that it doesn't rule out pregnancy completely. I haven't missed any withdrawal bleed, they always come on the placebo week, the same day. Yes, my periods have become lighter and much less painful but I thought it could be thanks to the pill. My breasts haven't stopped hurting since I started on bc tough, which is why I am so worried about pregnancy right now. How do non-anxious people deal with this? I have friends that are on bc too, and the withdrawal bleed seems just enough for them to be at ease. But I can't deal with the stress!
Should I trust my withdrawal bleed? Is that truly enough to rule out pregnancy? The panflet on the bc box says to take a pregnancy test IF two periods in a row are missing, not every month! I don't want to take a pregnancy test, I'd like to think in my circumstances its pretty unlikely to be pregnant. I really do need some reassurance and information. Thanks.

As long as you've been taking the pill correctly, the chances of pregnancy are very slim. And on top of that, you're using condoms too. So it really would have to be some super sperm and super egg for you to get pregnant!

If you're this paranoid about getting pregnant, perhaps being sexually active isn't the best thing for you right now. It may be a good idea to refrain from having sex until you're at a point where you can trust your contraception, or where you'd be able to cope with having a baby. Being very stressed can give you pregnancy-like symptoms, which then stresses you out even more which then is just a cycle of feeling anxious.

It's definitely worth popping to your GP about your concerns, taking a pregnancy test if you really feel like you need to, or like I said, stopping having sex.

Quick Reply

Latest