The Student Room Group

Funding Medicine as a Second Degree

I'm interested in the funding options for both undergrad medicine as a second degree and postgrad medicine. Please can you advise?
Hi, for undergraduate would you be studying Graduate Entry Medicine or Undergraduate Medicine?

Can you clarify what you mean by Postgraduate Medicine? Is there a specific subject? etc.

Regards, Aisha
Reply 2
Original post by Aisha SFE
Hi, for undergraduate would you be studying Graduate Entry Medicine or Undergraduate Medicine?

Can you clarify what you mean by Postgraduate Medicine? Is there a specific subject? etc.

Regards, Aisha

Thanks Aisha

I mean Undergraduate Medicine by 'undergrad medicine as a second degree' and Graduate Entry Medicine by 'postgrad medicine'! Hope that makes sense
Original post by LilJoh
Thanks Aisha

I mean Undergraduate Medicine by 'undergrad medicine as a second degree' and Graduate Entry Medicine by 'postgrad medicine'! Hope that makes sense

Hi there,

Can you please confirm the length of each degree?

Thanks,
Nihad
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi there,

Can you please confirm the length of each degree?

Thanks,
Nihad

It's 6 years for the undergrad one and 4 years for the graduate entry one
Hello,

If you study undergraduate medicine then you’d only be eligible for maintenance support; we wouldn’t award you tuition fees for undergraduate medicine as a second degree.

If you study graduate entry medicine you’d be eligible for both maintenance loan and tuition fees but these would vary through the course.

You’d be eligible for a tuition fee of up to £5785 in the first year of the course (you’d need to fund the final £3465 yourself). In years 2-4 the first £3,715 of tuition fees will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

In year 1 you’d be eligible for a full means tested maintenance loan and any supplementary grants. In years 2-4 you should be eligible for the Income assessed NHS bursary and supplementary grants. You’d only be able to apply to us for a reduced rate maintenance loan.

Thanks, Erin N.
Reply 6
Hi Erin, Just wondering how much maintenance loan someone would be entitled to when studying undergraduate medicine as a second degree? Obviously tuition fees aren't available but a maintenance loan would help a lot financially. Thanks!
Original post by mayajane
Hi Erin, Just wondering how much maintenance loan someone would be entitled to when studying undergraduate medicine as a second degree? Obviously tuition fees aren't available but a maintenance loan would help a lot financially. Thanks!

Good morning, full Maintenance Loan is available for the first 4 years of the course depending on your household income.
Thanks, Isaac
Even as a second degree? As in I’ve already undertaken my bachelors at UCL and am interested in pursuing medicine. Also how much is the maximum amount? Thanks!
Original post by mayapirie
Even as a second degree? As in I’ve already undertaken my bachelors at UCL and am interested in pursuing medicine. Also how much is the maximum amount? Thanks!

Yes for undergraduate medicine you will receive a Maintenance loan only, no Tuition Fee Loan.

You can view the figures here http://ow.ly/MNsv30pQp7t
Thanks, Isaac
Wonderful thank you, which section would apply to me?
Original post by mayapirie
Wonderful thank you, which section would apply to me?

It depends on your circumstance, if your living with parents, in london, elsewhere. You can use the calculator to work out how much you can receive https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Thanks, Isaac
Hi, I’m planning on studying medicine as a second degree after I graduate in 2024. I’ll be 25 when I start my third year but I will still be living with my parents. Would I be classed as an independent student in this situation and therefore be entitled to maximum maintenance loan as you don’t take into account my parents income? Many thanks.
Original post by Johnedwards7510
Hi, I’m planning on studying medicine as a second degree after I graduate in 2024. I’ll be 25 when I start my third year but I will still be living with my parents. Would I be classed as an independent student in this situation and therefore be entitled to maximum maintenance loan as you don’t take into account my parents income? Many thanks.

If you turn 25 before the start of the academic year (1st of September) then you would be classed as an independent student.

Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending