The Student Room Group

How to respond to ignorant comments?

Since I'm a woman, a lot of people get this idea that I should cater to their whims. I often get teased about being a "slave" and a "maid" and it's mentally exhausting. I help people who frequently put me down (family members including), being laughed/yelled at when I cry, and my health is deteriorating because of this. I had an extremely rough childhood. I'm 23 now but I'm drowning. All the time. Never able to breathe. Does anyone out here have similar issues happening? If there are, I'm truly sorry for you all. This kind of treatment is not ok.
Reply 1
Are you restricted to being with these people? If not, get away from them - there's no point being around mentally crushing & exhausting people if you can help it. Otherwise, tell them to stop it for starters
Reply 2
Butler, Pittsburgh. I know it sounds insane but I do. I still live with my parents.I just hate being seen as an object. I don't mind helping others but it comes to a point where some of them take advantage of me like my sister. She's always bringing her sick kids over for my parents and I to babysit them. She excuses it for allergies, but we end up getting sick anyways. She told me I looked like garbage and said later it wad a joke. My mom expects me to give her backrubs 3-4 times a week and calls me her maid. I could go on but it would take up too much space. My parents and I had moved twice and now they're thinking of moving again. I just don't feel like I'm living. I'm incredibly sad EVERYDAY (breaking apart as I write this).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending