The Student Room Group

How do universities check the grades you put in ucas?

I'm a French student so we have school transcripts, but I've heard in the UK system there aren't any, so universities won't ask for any. Therefore I was wondering how universities check if the grades you put on ucas are legit.
Original post by crushmeii
I'm a French student so we have school transcripts, but I've heard in the UK system there aren't any, so universities won't ask for any. Therefore I was wondering how universities check if the grades you put on ucas are legit.

For the French Bacc/OIB we ask for a verified copy of your final transcript, either directly from your school or an original/attested copy.
There aren't school transcripts in the UK, but the qualifications that UK students are entering into UCAS (GCSEs, A levels and so on) award certificates, and most universities will ask to see the certificates before you can start your course (or maybe during the application process).

For qualifications which the applicant hasn't taken yet, the universities are sent the results automatically by the exam boards when they come out, so there's no opportunity for the student to lie about them.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
For the French Bacc/OIB we ask for a verified copy of your final transcript, either directly from your school or an original/attested copy.

Thanks for replying, but I think I'm slightly confused as to what transcripts are. For example, we receive a report card at the end of each trimester, with our grades and average, are those transcripts? When you say final transcript, do you mean the one with our bac grades?

UCAS forms are checked by the school first - each students has a unique identifier which is cross-checked against exam board records. Universities receive A level results the weekend before students do so there is no opportunity to lie.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
UCAS forms are checked by the school first - each students has a unique identifier which is cross-checked against exam board records. Universities receive A level results the weekend before students do so there is no opportunity to lie.

Thanks for replying, but I'm guessing this is only the case for UK students.
Reply 6
Original post by skylark2
There aren't school transcripts in the UK, but the qualifications that UK students are entering into UCAS (GCSEs, A levels and so on) award certificates, and most universities will ask to see the certificates before you can start your course (or maybe during the application process).

For qualifications which the applicant hasn't taken yet, the universities are sent the results automatically by the exam boards when they come out, so there's no opportunity for the student to lie about them.

Ok thanks!
Thanks for replying, but I'm guessing this is only the case for UK students.

Yes but I thought you wanted to know!
Reply 8
Yes but I thought you wanted to know!

It's definitely interesting to know, but I was asking more for non-UK students, sorry if I worded my question unclearly!
It's definitely interesting to know, but I was asking more for non-UK students, sorry if I worded my question unclearly!

OK - you have the answer above in the second post - it's the final results they'll want.
Reply 10
Thanks for replying, but I think I'm slightly confused as to what transcripts are. For example, we receive a report card at the end of each trimester, with our grades and average, are those transcripts? When you say final transcript, do you mean the one with our bac grades?

Do you get a final certificate for the Bac? If so that's what they will want to see.
Reply 11
Original post by Doones
Do you get a final certificate for the Bac? If so that's what they will want to see.

Yes we do, however the grades for each subject won't be on it, only the final grade /20.
Reply 12
OK - you have the answer above in the second post - it's the final results they'll want.

Thank you!
Yes we do, however the grades for each subject won't be on it, only the final grade /20.

Really? Almost every final French Bacc transcript I’ve seen has both subject scores and an overall mark. The document we see looks much more like a transcript than an awards certificate, but it may be referred to as something different locally.
Reply 14
Original post by Admit-One
Really? Almost every final French Bacc transcript I’ve seen has both subject scores and an overall mark. The document we see looks much more like a transcript than an awards certificate, but it may be referred to as something different locally.

Oh then I'm not so sure, maybe these are 2 separate things, a transcript with subject scores and overall mark and then a separate certificate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending