The Student Room Group

I'm struggling to make friends.

I recently just started my first year at uni and I am now in my second semester and I still have not managed to make any friends whatsoever. dont get me wrong I tried to talk and be friendly but I just find is so difficult to keep conversations and on top of that I get pretty bad anxiety/paranoia and think no one likes me, I'm just annoying them or maybe I just give off a bad vibe to them. I know uni isnt all about making/having friends but I find it so lonely especially living away from home aswell. my roommates all stay in their rooms and aren't social at all so that just makes it even harder. I have joined a games society but I'm just too afraid to go and be around a big crowd of people. Anyway has anyone else ever been in this situation? I just feel so alone. 😔
Original post by RebW
I recently just started my first year at uni and I am now in my second semester and I still have not managed to make any friends whatsoever. dont get me wrong I tried to talk and be friendly but I just find is so difficult to keep conversations and on top of that I get pretty bad anxiety/paranoia and think no one likes me, I'm just annoying them or maybe I just give off a bad vibe to them. I know uni isnt all about making/having friends but I find it so lonely especially living away from home aswell. my roommates all stay in their rooms and aren't social at all so that just makes it even harder. I have joined a games society but I'm just too afraid to go and be around a big crowd of people. Anyway has anyone else ever been in this situation? I just feel so alone. 😔

Hey, I'm sorry you're in that situation right now, but trust me, it won't always be like that!
What you need to do ASAP is join as many societies as possible, that way you can interconnect with a large amount of people, there will be people with similar interests as you and that will love to be your friend!

As for your roomates, always make sure your door is open, and sit in your communal area as much as possible, perhaps suggest a takeaway one night or cook dinner? People always warm up to generous and happy situations and the stress of talking to new people is always easily masked with food :smile:
I made friends in my first year but barely any that I actually hanged with. Towards the end of my first year I didn’t even hang with them anymore I didn’t feel like I was part of their group. At the beginning of my second year I cried because I just didn’t know where to be for my breaks and lunches. I was basically alone all the time. I got used to the fact that I was alone and just tried to focus all my energy into doing well at uni and get a 2.1. I’ve graduated uni and I don’t even speak to any of those friends anymore and I’m not even surprised because I knew they were temporary. Friends come and go. Focus on what’s important, as much as people always say that uni is all about being sociable with big groups of people and making lots of friends, just remember, do you think this will be permanent friendships? Will this even matter next year? Don’t be afraid and just step out of your comfort zone and just say fxck it. Your room mates are all probably in the same position as you if they’re hiding away in their rooms being unsociable. You won’t know until you go to this games society, as you’ll meet likeminded people with the same hobbies and interest as you.
Reply 3
hi!
thank you for replying! I was actually thinking about joining the Harry Potter society at my uni since I love it! I just need to work up the courage to actually go. and as for roommates I think that's a really good idea!
Original post by RebW
hi!
thank you for replying! I was actually thinking about joining the Harry Potter society at my uni since I love it! I just need to work up the courage to actually go. and as for roommates I think that's a really good idea!

Totally do it! And do it ASAP, you'll find great like minded people there, and are guaranteed to make some great mates there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending