The Student Room Group

Is the world playing some kind of trick on me?

Long story short, spent 17 and a half years of my life with little to no male attention, my mum was the only person that's ever told me i'm pretty. I moved to uni and got a boyfriend and he seems to think i'm 'gorgeous' and he always says 'how haven't you had a boyfriend before, i just don't understand it' and my new friends in uni all say i'm pretty. My best friend turned to me the other day and said 'you're actually gorgeous, (insert name here) also thinks you're gorgeous'. So basically my question is, is everyone in on some kind of joke about me. Or are they just really really nice people? because NOBODY ever said anything at home, non of my friends, no boys ever. And i'm not here fishing i just don't get it, and i don't want to believe them in case they turn around and say like ' lol jk'
Tbh, who cares? As long as you have a boyfriend who likes you for who you are, does it matter?
Original post by Anonymous
Long story short, spent 17 and a half years of my life with little to no male attention, my mum was the only person that's ever told me i'm pretty. I moved to uni and got a boyfriend and he seems to think i'm 'gorgeous' and he always says 'how haven't you had a boyfriend before, i just don't understand it' and my new friends in uni all say i'm pretty. My best friend turned to me the other day and said 'you're actually gorgeous, (insert name here) also thinks you're gorgeous'. So basically my question is, is everyone in on some kind of joke about me. Or are they just really really nice people? because NOBODY ever said anything at home, non of my friends, no boys ever. And i'm not here fishing i just don't get it, and i don't want to believe them in case they turn around and say like ' lol jk'

You may think you are not beautiful, but I believe you truly are. Like the old saying says “Everyone is beautiful in their own way”.
“Beauty” can be expressed in many ways. It is not only physical but beauty can originate from one’s qualities. From just reading your short story, you come across like a honest person and honesty is a beautiful quality to have.
Appreciate the compliments and return the positivity. Regardless of whether you sincerely agree with it or not.

I hope you have a blessed day ☺️
Reply 3
Maybe at school not everyone was fussed with relationships so nobody felt the need to evaluate your appearance and compliment you.

I dealt with bullying insults and abusive friendships back home. Now in my first year of uni, I'm engaged, have great friends who dont diss me and am a lot happier. Its not playing tricks on you, you were just unlucky to be with a cohort of people who not all of them were nice. And I bet you are pretty irl and if you are inside as well then thats all that matters. Stay true to yourself and be a good person.
(edited 4 years ago)

It's not always just about appearance, there could be lots of things about you that changed and make you more attractive at uni - your style, confidence, or maybe just a different crowd. At school i had 0 friends and nobody told me i was pretty, everyone ignored me. Even at uni, although guys would chat me up kind of often but nobody on my course spoke to me. then later someone said i was quite intimidating. My bf says so too, and my new colleagues. So people keep their distance for all kinds of reasons & same as you people are surprised when i say i haven't had friends or a proper relationship before. You could have also just 'bloomed'. My mum said i was pretty when i was going thru ugly duckling puberty phase, but people can see unpolished beauty - schoolkids cant really

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending