The Student Room Group

Looking for friends through instagram

Hi. I'm 23 years old and I am quite shy, introverted and don't have many friends, for that reason, but I would like to change it. I think I'm pretty normal when I get to meet someone a bit better, it's just that shyness at first, which a lot of people find annoying.

I came accross this girl on insta, who went to the same uni as me (we both finished), she is a year older. She has an open insta and quite a lot of followers, posts a lot. Through her post she seems like a really nice person I'd actually have stuff in common with (such as our major, a few hobbies, etc)

I would like to message her, maybe start some kind of coversation, see where it goes? But I don't want to be a creep since I dont know her in person. I'm just looking to expand my circle and she seems cool.

But i also know a lot of people our age already have their circle of friends and aren't looking for new ones, especially through instagram. And it's hard to make someone you know only from instagram your actual friend in real life.
I have tried it a couple of times before with some other people and it failed.

So my question would be, should I just try to strike up a convo with this girl? I though saying to her that I like her insta profile and maybe ask her something about her job (we are both in biology, and im about to look for a job similar to hers). Or is it pointless to try to look for people that way?

Sometimes I feel embarrassed I have to resort to stuff like that, since everyone my age already have their circle of friends around them. But then again I have nothing to lose.

Have you ever had a similar experience of meeting one of your friends through insta? How did it go?
Reply 1
Original post by Antoneta29
Hi. I'm 23 years old and I am quite shy, introverted and don't have many friends, for that reason, but I would like to change it. I think I'm pretty normal when I get to meet someone a bit better, it's just that shyness at first, which a lot of people find annoying.

I came accross this girl on insta, who went to the same uni as me (we both finished), she is a year older. She has an open insta and quite a lot of followers, posts a lot. Through her post she seems like a really nice person I'd actually have stuff in common with (such as our major, a few hobbies, etc)

I would like to message her, maybe start some kind of coversation, see where it goes? But I don't want to be a creep since I dont know her in person. I'm just looking to expand my circle and she seems cool.

But i also know a lot of people our age already have their circle of friends and aren't looking for new ones, especially through instagram. And it's hard to make someone you know only from instagram your actual friend in real life.

So my question would be, should I just try to strike up a convo with this girl? I though saying to her that I like her insta profile and maybe ask her something about her job (we are both in biology, and im about to look for a job similar to hers). Or is it pointless to try to look for people that way?

Sometimes I feel embarrassed I have to resort to stuff like that, since everyone my age already have their circle of friends around them. But then again I have nothing to lose.

Have you ever had a similar experience of meeting one of your friends through insta? How did it go?

I'm an introvert as well, and introverts typically deal better in small groups. I'd say introverts thrive with other introverts. Extroverts can be a bit much, and they're more often shallow in thought than reflective, so it's harder for introverts to see eye to eye with extroverts. Would you consider yourself a deep thinker?
Reply 2

Like you said you have nothing to lose so just go for it! I met one of my closet friends by replying to her Instagram story saying 'You look amazing in that dress, where did you get it from?'. So you could always try something like that. For instance, as you said, you could compliment her Instagram feed then ask about her job. Then once the conversation starts flowing you can ask her if she wants to go for lunch or something. I hope that helped and good luck!
Reply 3

Yes you should deffo message her. It's normal if you're not in a friendship group atm, most of these friendship groups aren't actually real friends. You can message her about her clothes and ask her where she got it from. Then you can start from there. i haven't personally met friends through insta but most of my dates are from insta. They just started a normal convo with me on insta and we met up after that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending