The Student Room Group

Be honest... are looks important for guys/girls?

Just curious because I’m so insecure with the way I look and maybe that’s why I am single all these years

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Just curious because I’m so insecure with the way I look and maybe that’s why I am single all these years

they say that looks are only 20%, the rest is personality. I'm sure you're attractive, some people find certain types of people attractive. Maybe if you feel insecure you should start becoming friends with them first. then once you get to know them you will feel more confident asking them out. they will see your personality first before you ask them out, which is the best thing

Trust me, looks isn't the main thing. It's personality. Don't be insecure. There is somebody out there who will love you for your looks and personality!
Beauty lies within!
Hope you find true love soon
Reply 3
Thank you all so much! I think i’m just really insecure because all the guys I’ve talk to either has always ghosted me or just never liked me back. I’m also going to be moving to London next summer and hope I have a good chance of meeting someone
For me, as long as the guy is plain-looking looking or better its fine. Personality matters though, my preference is social, funny and sarcastic, and smart :smile: not necessarily academically, just street smart.
Reply 5
Thank you all so much! I think i’m just really insecure because all the guys I’ve talk to either has always ghosted me or just never liked me back. I’m also going to be moving to London next summer and hope I have a good chance of meeting someone

i live in london and because of how big the population is, i'm sure you'll find multiple people
Although there has to be a some level of physical attraction, personality carries much greater weight.
Reply 7
Looks get you through the door, personality keeps you there.
Reply 8
yes looks are important, but so is personality. if I'm looking for a date, I would be more attracted to an intelligent woman with average looks than a hot woman with a 'basic *****' personality.
A big cuddly guy once stole my heart with his amazing personality 💓 I had to go away and never saw him again (I’m 18)
It varies according to an individuals personal taste and attraction deal-breakers.
People that are looks attracted usually won't date someone that is not their usual 'type' in terms of physical appearance, height and body shape.
While people who are personality attracted focus upon finding a partner with an interesting & attractive personality and usually have fewer physical dating deal-breakers.

I'm an average looking, 5'1 female and personality attracted.
I only date guys older than me and have quite a few dating deal-breakers.
Still get plenty of guys wanting to chat and asking me out.
Reply 11

most people here are just giving fairytale answers

You sound like you are female.

A guy will happily have sex with you, even if you're nothing special to look at, but if he thinks he can do better he won't stick around for long..

You can probably get a bf online if you go with online dating. You will probably get a lot of messages. but don't think you can land some Chad for a monogamous relationship.....
maybe for one night you can if you catch my drift , but if you're not at least a 7 you've got no chance realistically...
Let's be honest, what's the first thing that attracts you to a stranger?

Looks.

It's only when you get to speak that you have a chance to figure out their personality. I would say it's 60-40 (Looks-Personality)
Reply 13
and i'm Batman..
Its not all about looks, personality is a very important factor. I dont really care if the person is good looking or not, for me, personality is more important.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
yes looks are important, but they aren't the be-all and end-all. i would rather date an intelligent woman with average looks than a model-like woman with a basic personality.
Having good looks is important for sure and anyone that says otherwise is lying. At first glance what will people notice? Looks. Even getting a job is easier when you are better looking.

But having a good personality will help, if you look good and have a bad personality in the end everyone will be sick of you. So whilst, looks are important - personalities are also equally important. so don't undermine yourself!

//
Initially, yes. But for me, girls with only looks only goes so far. Their personality will sway me one way or another in an instant! :smile:
Reply 18
Looks attract people but personality makes them stay.
Reply 19
Think about appearance, not looks. It doesn't need expensive clothes or haircuts, but if you look like you take care of yourself, it can be a good indicator that you'll take care of someone else.

However, a genuine smile is a good start (it was for me when I first met my now-bf) and personality will always win out over looks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending