The Student Room Group

Applying for student finance as an estranged EU student?

Hi,

I am irreconcilably estranged from my parents and I need some help with my student finance application.
I don't really want to disclose my situation on a public forum, but I can't seem to find an email address anywhere to ask for help from Student Finance England themselves. Is there any way to speak to an advisor on here via private messaging?

I suppose my main questions are: could someone outline the process of applying for finance for me please? Where and when do I submit the letters from teachers and other people 'with good standing in the community' confirming my estrangement? How will my household income be assessed - I don't currently have a job?

Thank you very much for any help in advance!
Original post by krinyapajti
Hi,

I am irreconcilably estranged from my parents and I need some help with my student finance application.
I don't really want to disclose my situation on a public forum, but I can't seem to find an email address anywhere to ask for help from Student Finance England themselves. Is there any way to speak to an advisor on here via private messaging?

I suppose my main questions are: could someone outline the process of applying for finance for me please? Where and when do I submit the letters from teachers and other people 'with good standing in the community' confirming my estrangement? How will my household income be assessed - I don't currently have a job?

Thank you very much for any help in advance!

SFE are very patchy at the moment and had closed down their contact centre. They are even more difficult to contact.
You can try on facebook or
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Will you have been living in the UK for 5+ years by Sept 1 in the year the target course starts?
Altewrnatively 3 years within the EU?

Ideally the estrangem,ent would eb confirmed by a social worker or if its gone on for a long time, then your headteacher.
If they accpet you are estranged then it would be your income so full money.
That all depends whether you can apply for fees or fees and maintenance.
Original post by 999tigger
SFE are very patchy at the moment and had closed down their contact centre. They are even more difficult to contact.
You can try on facebook or
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Will you have been living in the UK for 5+ years by Sept 1 in the year the target course starts?
Altewrnatively 3 years within the EU?

Ideally the estrangem,ent would eb confirmed by a social worker or if its gone on for a long time, then your headteacher.
If they accpet you are estranged then it would be your income so full money.
That all depends whether you can apply for fees or fees and maintenance.

Thanks, I'll try the link above!

I will have been living in the UK for 3 years by Sept 1 (so unfortunately not 5) and I've lived in the EU my whole life so that shouldn't be a problem. I've checked on the government's website and I'm eligible for a tuition fee loan, but not maintenance.
To be honest the main thing I'm confused about is where to send the letter from my headteacher? And whether to send this off along with my application or, I've read somewhere that there is an 'estrangement form' that I need to fill out AFTER I've sent off my application? Anyway, hopefully I'll find some answers on the link you posted, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending