The Student Room Group

Student Finance Eligibility

Hey everyone,

So I am supposed to be returning to the UK to start a postgraduate course at the beginning of September, but after doing my student finance forms, I am a little concerned whether I will be eligible for tuition fees and maintenance loans as I have been working abroad for almost 4 years. To be eligible, it is saying you have to have lived in the UK for three years before the course. Is this even for UK citizens? Has anyone been in a similar position and received the loan or know what it takes to get the loan? I’m trying to prepare myself mentally for a potential defer until I save money...:frown: thank you for any insight given.
Original post by denimlegacy92
Hey everyone,

So I am supposed to be returning to the UK to start a postgraduate course at the beginning of September, but after doing my student finance forms, I am a little concerned whether I will be eligible for tuition fees and maintenance loans as I have been working abroad for almost 4 years. To be eligible, it is saying you have to have lived in the UK for three years before the course. Is this even for UK citizens? Has anyone been in a similar position and received the loan or know what it takes to get the loan? I’m trying to prepare myself mentally for a potential defer until I save money...:frown: thank you for any insight given.

Good morning, there is no Maintenance Loan or Tuition Fee Loan available for postgraduate students. The loan available is a contribution to costs loan. You can view more information, including eligibility by clicking here http://ow.ly/Ny1s30oSf1Y
Thanks, Isaac.
Original post by SFE Isaac
Good morning, there is no Maintenance Loan or Tuition Fee Loan available for postgraduate students. The loan available is a contribution to costs loan. You can view more information, including eligibility by clicking here http://ow.ly/Ny1s30oSf1Y
Thanks, Isaac.

Hi Isaac, thanks for the reply

My apologies, it is a PGCE for schools direct (non salaried). Does that change my situation back to being eligible? If so would the four years mentioned be a problem? I spent theee years in china and one in South Korea. Many thanks.
Hi Isaac, thanks for the reply

My apologies, it is a PGCE for schools direct (non salaried). Does that change my situation back to being eligible? If so would the four years mentioned be a problem? I spent theee years in china and one in South Korea. Many thanks.

Hi there, PGCE courses attract undergraduate funding so you would get the Maintenance/Tuition Loan if eligible. Will the course be under 2 years long and your first time achieving Qualified Teacher Status? What is your Nationality?
Thanks, Isaac.
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, PGCE courses attract undergraduate funding so you would get the Maintenance/Tuition Loan if eligible. Will the course be under 2 years long and your first time achieving Qualified Teacher Status? What is your Nationality?
Thanks, Isaac.

Hi Isaac, thank you again for your quick replies!

The course is one year long and it will be my first time achieving QTS,
I am of British nationality,

Many thanks
Hi Isaac, thank you again for your quick replies!

The course is one year long and it will be my first time achieving QTS,
I am of British nationality,

Many thanks

You're welcome. You will be fully funded for the undergraduate funding. If you were outside the EU then you will need to prove your time outside the UK was temporary. If you were abroad in the EU then as long as you return to the UK before your course starts then you will be funded.

UK Nationals have the right to roam in the EU/EEA and return to get funding.
Thanks, Isaac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending