The Student Room Group

america

hiiii, i am an uk student and i have wanted to study abroad for a very long time,, but i don’t know how. i’ve researched a lot but every website says different things, some say it’s free if i apply ? but some say i need to pay like £10,000. i’m in year 10 going to year 11. i don’t know when but i really wanna go for like at least a month?
Original post by hhhhheeeee
hiiii, i am an uk student and i have wanted to study abroad for a very long time,, but i don’t know how. i’ve researched a lot but every website says different things, some say it’s free if i apply ? but some say i need to pay like £10,000. i’m in year 10 going to year 11. i don’t know when but i really wanna go for like at least a month?

Ommg mee tooo!!! Im in year 10 as well (going into year 11) and i also want to move to america with my family. I feel like in the UK, i get too much stress because of GCSE and my mental health has DEFINITLY gotten worse. Idk.... hopefully someone replies so we can both use the advice.
Original post by hhhhheeeee

TBH for a UK student the easiest & most practical method to study in the US is to go to a good UK uni which has an exchange program with a partner US university, then you can do either a semester or year abroad.

probably best to see how the dust settles after corona in a couple years then start look, I dont think it will be viable the next year for a high school student and in A-levels you will probably be best focusing on your course.
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
TBH for a UK student the easiest & most practical method to study in the US is to go to a good UK uni which has an exchange program with a partner US university, then you can do either a semester or year abroad.

probably best to see how the dust settles after corona in a couple years then start look, I dont think it will be viable the next year for a high school student and in A-levels you will probably be best focusing on your course.

ah, true. thank you (:
Reply 4
Original post by actinglover
Ommg mee tooo!!! Im in year 10 as well (going into year 11) and i also want to move to america with my family. I feel like in the UK, i get too much stress because of GCSE and my mental health has DEFINITLY gotten worse. Idk.... hopefully someone replies so we can both use the advice.

frrr, US seems like such a nicer place to study. goodluck w gcses bro (:
Studying in America will be very expensive. You are not able to get financial aid as an international student and you won't be able to get any American student loans without an American co-signer. You would need to do significantly well in your a levels and be in the top of your school to be even have a chance of being accepted. You would also need to complete ACT&SCT tests. For example, 4-year colleges in California such as UCLA and USC would be costing you $70k per year. If you want a higher chance of being accepted into an American College you would need to go to community college in the state you wish to study in. You would do two years at community college and complete general education classes that would transfer to the 4-year college you want to apply too. Community College costs around $8000 a year, however this isn't including food and accommodation. All in all, you're probably looking at $25k per year. You would complete two years at community college and then transfer too the 4-year college where you would complete two more years to get a bachelors degree. It's extremely hard to move and study in America, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have very rich parents. It was also my dream to move and study but it's basically impossible if you don't have a huge amount of money to spend.
Original post by CallumTW9
Studying in America will be very expensive. You are not able to get financial aid as an international student and you won't be able to get any American student loans without an American co-signer. You would need to do significantly well in your a levels and be in the top of your school to be even have a chance of being accepted. You would also need to complete ACT&SCT tests. For example, 4-year colleges in California such as UCLA and USC would be costing you $70k per year. If you want a higher chance of being accepted into an American College you would need to go to community college in the state you wish to study in. You would do two years at community college and complete general education classes that would transfer to the 4-year college you want to apply too. Community College costs around $8000 a year, however this isn't including food and accommodation. All in all, you're probably looking at $25k per year. You would complete two years at community college and then transfer too the 4-year college where you would complete two more years to get a bachelors degree. It's extremely hard to move and study in America, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have very rich parents. It was also my dream to move and study but it's basically impossible if you don't have a huge amount of money to spend.

Damnn okk thank you for the info

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending