The Student Room Group

Uphill starts at junctions and uphill traffic lights

Hello can anyone help with how to move off at uphill junctions and traffic lights uphill without the handbrake how would you do it. I can do it with handbrake I set gas and bite then release handbrake but how do you do this when you are only there for a few seconds and dont use the handbrake and just clutch down and keep the brake on.
Reply 1
Original post by arsy50
Hello can anyone help with how to move off at uphill junctions and traffic lights uphill without the handbrake how would you do it. I can do it with handbrake I set gas and bite then release handbrake but how do you do this when you are only there for a few seconds and dont use the handbrake and just clutch down and keep the brake on.

It's just a case of doing everything quickly in one motion - muscle memory is needed, so you need to know your bite point and throttle inputs well. You just move off the brake and, in that half second before the car starts rolling back, you just give it the same gas and clutch movements as you would normally on a hill start.

As long as you're not stopping for more than maybe 4-5 seconds, then it's ok to just hold the car on the clutch without using brakes. Be careful doing this and try to keep your revs low as possible, as if you do it for too long or aggressively you'll burn up your clutch...
Reply 2
Original post by tmr19
It's just a case of doing everything quickly in one motion - muscle memory is needed, so you need to know your bite point and throttle inputs well. You just move off the brake and, in that half second before the car starts rolling back, you just give it the same gas and clutch movements as you would normally on a hill start.

As long as you're not stopping for more than maybe 4-5 seconds, then it's ok to just hold the car on the clutch without using brakes. Be careful doing this and try to keep your revs low as possible, as if you do it for too long or aggressively you'll burn up your clutch...

Can you get to bite first with footbrake in then move up to gas because if you move to gas without bite you'll roll back
Reply 3
Original post by arsy50
Can you get to bite first with footbrake in then move up to gas because if you move to gas without bite you'll roll back

I just move quickly off the brake and do my normal moving off procedure. Your car doesn't roll back if you're quick
Reply 4
Original post by tmr19
I just move quickly off the brake and do my normal moving off procedure. Your car doesn't roll back if you're quick

Do you have to find the bite or can you bring the clutch up without the bite
Reply 5
Original post by arsy50

From the posts that you have been posting on here, I imagine that you haven't had any lessons yet. That you are just trying to mentally picture things in your head, as to how to do them.

The only way you will learn properly is when you come to do driving lessons. You can mentally think about doing these things as much as you want, but actually doing these things will help you more greatly, than people trying to tell you what to do.

I found watching youtube videos at home whilst learning to drive, helped me a lot with these sort of things. So I suggest you do the same, easier for you to understand then. I hope the video I posted yesterday for you helped with how you did moving off.

A quick search on YouTube brought up this video (hill starts without using the hand break): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlkB1_JQqKg :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending