The Student Room Group

My parents want me to move to Uni on the train ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helloworld_95
You must hate the parents of international students then.

My parents dropped me off at the airport, my flight was delayed a few hours, had to buy a new train ticket when I arrived because of that (never been on a train before let alone bought a train ticket), thought I lost my luggage because some muppet took it off the train at my changeover before I had the chance to. That entire day was pretty much negligible compared to other difficulties during that semester, which I still happily survived. Sometimes you have to throw them in the deep end.

Quite obviously that's different.
it seems a little harsh, but then again, we don't know their situation or reasoning.

you should try buy as much stuff as you can for when it arrives to you, or amazon order it to your accom.
Original post by harrysbar
Wow I just don’t normally mix with the sort of people who take trunks to uni or school :colondollar:

Dont worry its often bodies prisoners or elephants.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Quite obviously that's different.

And would you like to explain how? Obviously a person going to live in a foreign country for the first time will have more difficulty adjusting and getting comfortable, so there is more of an argument for parents of international students to join them.
I lucky you. I had to take the plane down along with the help of a delivery service.
Original post by Caea
I don’t have a clue how I’ll manage to bring everything i need if I have to take a train to move to Uni.
I had honestly just thought they would drive me lol.
How did other people manage it ? I need to bring duvets and pillows and stuff

If you have some dosh you can use uni movers such as mybaggage.com have reasonable rates to transport things. I think £17.99 or something like that per 30kg box/suitcase is what they charge straight to your uni accom! Then take lighter things such as your clothes shoes etc on the train or coach (cheaper and no hassle of fighting for space to place your things) using a suitcase or two.
Original post by Helloworld_95
And would you like to explain how? Obviously a person going to live in a foreign country for the first time will have more difficulty adjusting and getting comfortable, so there is more of an argument for parents of international students to join them.

Because having to take a flight to a foreign country isn't feasible for everyone, and besides, the main issue OP was talking about was luggage, which wouldn't be solved by a parent flying over. Whereas for a student from this country, having a car is ideal.

You can't actually compare having to fly (and then the parent would have to fly back again - probably at quite an expense) to helping your child take their stuff to uni in the car. Sorry, but it's just not a like for like comparison there.
Original post by Muttley79
Nope - still happening in the 1970s and later ... I know people whose parents did not have cars and that was how they had to get their stuff to uni.

My husband had a trunk that was shipped down. Uni halls had a trunk room where you could store 1 trunk over the holidays rather than taking everything home. We still have the trunk!
This was Reading uni, not a particularly posh one.1980s
Original post by ReadingMum
My husband had a trunk that was shipped down. Uni halls had a trunk room where you could store 1 trunk over the holidays rather than taking everything home. We still have the trunk!
This was Reading uni, not a particularly posh one.1980s

Indeed - some posters clearly had a different experience. Having a trunk did/does not equate to being rich!
Original post by Caea
I don’t have a clue how I’ll manage to bring everything i need if I have to take a train to move to Uni.

Easy... I've took a train to move too...
I had 2 bags with me....
All cleared. As I would remember, I would make the list if it was something really expensive and I can't buy another one and maybe during the weekend or something I would ask for a day or two's leave and return home
and if it was cheap then would buy the things I needed....
I'd just bear in mind that if you're not going to be able to get a lift now and are reluctant to bring a lot of stuff on the train, that you might not be able to get a lift at the end of the year. So when you're looking into accomodation for the year after to see if you can move in right at the end of your current contract. So that you don't have to struggle bringing it back for the summer or paying to store your stuff somewhere.
There are loads of companies that will transport stuff for you door to door - TNT etc for not very much, certainly cheaper than hiring a man and a van. I don't really see why not having a lift to university is a big problem.
(edited 3 years ago)
It should be fine. I had to travel 200 miles from home to university and it worked out fine. I sent some of my stuff up the week before in a van, and it cost me about £17, I think.
Come on dude, you're an adult now. You need to learn to be independent and stop relying on your parents to do everything for you. You can fill up a suitcase and a backpack with all your essentials and then buy the extras once you get to uni. Wilkos will have all the bedding and kitchen stuff you need. And don't forget your face mask lol.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Caea

You can offer to pay your parents for transporting your stuff. Or send a parcel to yourself, there are comparison sites for delivery services to find the best price.
Two years ago I moved to uni with three suitcases from France. I took the Eurostar and then the train when I arrived in UK. You'll manage it...
Original post by Caea

Have they given a reason?Is it to do with covid? Some older parents may have good reason to avoid too many student interactons at the minute.A friend might be a better bet and you should cover petrol costs.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Sorry, but why won't they drive you? My stepson starts university next year, and I don't care if he choose literally the university the furthest away in the country, we will be driving him there and making sure he's in his room and comfortable with what happens next before we leave.

How can a parent just let their child go off on the train to university, which is quite a scary experience even for the most confident of students?!

Taking everything on a train just won't work I don't think.

Not everyone has access to a car, me and my parent had to take the train for that reason.
Obviously it's great if a parent can come and it would be hard to manage with one person (I would recommend taking as much as you can carry in this scenario and arranging a student removal service for the rest) but I can understand if a parent cant afford to come, train tickets are expensive especially if you are travelling half way across the country.
Original post by Muttley79
Indeed - some posters clearly had a different experience. Having a trunk did/does not equate to being rich!

I think in general people with access to cars have quite a different view on the world. They are so used to just having the luxury of jumping in a car and driving to where they need to be they forget what Its like without. At one stage when my nan was very unwell and we had to move into her house I moved the entirity of my belonging to her house doing many round trips of 4 miles. A trunk or similar would have been useful then, we just used her wheel chair to transport the heavy stuff and me and my parent brought the guinea pigs down by taking an end each of their hutch and walking it down between us.
A trunk would definitely have come in handy for moving to uni, rather than a shopping trolley and 5 bags for life, a laptop bag and a massive rucksack :lol:
Original post by CoolCavy
I think in general people with access to cars have quite a different view on the world. They are so used to just having the luxury of jumping in a car and driving to where they need to be they forget what Its like without. At one stage when my nan was very unwell and we had to move into her house I moved the entirity of my belonging to her house doing many round trips of 4 miles. A trunk or similar would have been useful then, we just used her wheel chair to transport the heavy stuff and me and my parent brought the guinea pigs down by taking an end each of their hutch and walking it down between us.
A trunk would definitely have come in handy for moving to uni, rather than a shopping trolley and 5 bags for life, a laptop bag and a massive rucksack :lol:

I had all my stuff sent home from the university of East London to Suffolk. I used Anyvan. It cost £65 and was collected and delivered the same day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending