The Student Room Group

Dissertation

I have a Masters Dissertation due for submission in 7 weeks. I have a research question and have an idea of what I want to do and what my theoretical framework is. I’ve got it segregated into chapters as well. But I’m just not able to write and I’m freaking out thinking about lost time. I know there’s no point freaking out. But is it possible to do a 10,000 words masters dissertation in 7 weeks? How should I plan ahead for it?
Reply 1
Original post by Adithya_1998
I have a Masters Dissertation due for submission in 7 weeks. I have a research question and have an idea of what I want to do and what my theoretical framework is. I’ve got it segregated into chapters as well. But I’m just not able to write and I’m freaking out thinking about lost time. I know there’s no point freaking out. But is it possible to do a 10,000 words masters dissertation in 7 weeks? How should I plan ahead for it?

Bro, 7 weeks is plenty of time. First thing is to not panic. Whilst it is not ideal to write a detailed thesis in that time , it is definitely doable. Firstly I would make a detailed plan of what you are going to do for the seven weeks. Give yourself deadlines of what you need to do and by when. It will force you to stay on top of it. Next write a scrappy intro and critical literature review ( provided you have read something into your topic), this is not difficult and as you start it becomes easier. I can't help you with the problem of your theoretical structure and analysis, which is where the bulk of your marks will come from. Instead, the best thing is to beef up your intro and critical literature review. Don't over complicate it when it comes to your analysis. Also find a paper which answers a similar question to yours and build a structure similar to that. It will 1) give you an ability to take ideas of what to write and 2) give you discussion points relative to the paper, ie you can say something like "past research has found xyz to be true however .... My paper has considered xyz ....." And you build it up. Don't panic brother just keep plugging at it
Reply 2
small, achievable targets. Entirely possible.

7 weeks is plenty of time! 😌

You just need to average 1,428 words per week or 204 words per day. That’s absolutely nothing.

Obviously you’ll want to write a bit more than that a day so you have enough time to get feedback from your supervisor and edit.
Original post by Sw1997
Bro, 7 weeks is plenty of time. First thing is to not panic. Whilst it is not ideal to write a detailed thesis in that time , it is definitely doable. Firstly I would make a detailed plan of what you are going to do for the seven weeks. Give yourself deadlines of what you need to do and by when. It will force you to stay on top of it. Next write a scrappy intro and critical literature review ( provided you have read something into your topic), this is not difficult and as you start it becomes easier. I can't help you with the problem of your theoretical structure and analysis, which is where the bulk of your marks will come from. Instead, the best thing is to beef up your intro and critical literature review. Don't over complicate it when it comes to your analysis. Also find a paper which answers a similar question to yours and build a structure similar to that. It will 1) give you an ability to take ideas of what to write and 2) give you discussion points relative to the paper, ie you can say something like "past research has found xyz to be true however .... My paper has considered xyz ....." And you build it up. Don't panic brother just keep plugging at it

I've actually started writing now. Just getting on the literature review and I hope to finish that up in two-three days. Hopefully everything goes as planned! But thanks for your response, really helped me build confidence!
Original post by CTLeafez
7 weeks is plenty of time! 😌

You just need to average 1,428 words per week or 204 words per day. That’s absolutely nothing.

Obviously you’ll want to write a bit more than that a day so you have enough time to get feedback from your supervisor and edit.

That definitely sounds doable! I'm right now able to write around 600 words a day. I'm just planning on writing with the flow, hopefully it works out well! Thanks for that state! it really makes me feel like this is achievable!

do NOT panic, contact your university for help. My uni has people called inclusion officers who help you plan and organise your time. Ask about this because it's been a GOD send to me. just plan in priority and find someone who can help you with proof reading! Good Luck!
Original post by Teigan182
do NOT panic, contact your university for help. My uni has people called inclusion officers who help you plan and organise your time. Ask about this because it's been a GOD send to me. just plan in priority and find someone who can help you with proof reading! Good Luck!

Oh, I've never heard of inclusion officers before. Thanks, I'll check up on that with my uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending