Ask me anything about Speech and Language Therapy!

Watch
UniofReading
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi everyone!

I'm Ellen and I am just about to enter my 4th year of Speech and Language Therapy at the University of Reading. If you've got any questions about life at University, Speech and Language Therapy, the degree or academic university questions then please feel free to ask away!!

I will come back and check the thread on Tuesday and Saturday.

Ellen
Student Ambassador
nanana8
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi Ellen! I am thinking to apply for MSc speech and language (pre-reg) for 2021. However, I have been struggling to find relevant experiences (especially with adults) due to the pandemic. Do you have any suggestions on where should we find relevant experiences for the speech and language programme? Thanks!
MarieLouise88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi Ellen,

I’m also interested in finding out about experience needed. I currently work as a nursery nurse in the NHS alongside Speech and Language working with preschool children with global developmental delay or social communication difficulties but have no experience working with older people, is this something I should be looking to do?

Also interested to know what the workload is like and how many hours are you in uni per week? I have two children of primary school age, I am hoping to apply for BCU and am undecided between their full or part time degree option in order to work around my children as much as possible.

Thank you 😊
UniofReading
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by nanana8)
Hi Ellen! I am thinking to apply for MSc speech and language (pre-reg) for 2021. However, I have been struggling to find relevant experiences (especially with adults) due to the pandemic. Do you have any suggestions on where should we find relevant experiences for the speech and language programme? Thanks!
Hi,

Great to hear you are thinking of applying! It is completely understandable that finding experience may be trickier at the moment, and I know the admissions team are definitely taking this into account. In terms of gaining adult experience, I would look at the Stroke Association, they may have some remote/virtual volunteering opportunities or phoning scheme of some sort. Perhaps try Age UK too.

It is most important that you are able to show your knowledge of speech and language therapy, reading relevant books or watching relevant documentaries, make some notes of observations you make of individuals with communication difficulties.

Hope this is helpful,

Ellen
Student Ambassador
UniofReading
Rep:
?
Some great books to have a read of which may help to provide a deeper insight into Speech and Language Therapy are..
- Listen to your child, by David Crystal; this book explains a lot about children's language development and how parents can best support them, which is equally useful for a clinician.
- The Dividing Bell and The Butterfly, by Jean-Dominique Bauby; these give an insight into a man who has locked-in syndrome and communicates using eye-gaze.
- Elizabeth is Missing is also a great book which provides a deeper insight into living with dementia, it is also a BBC film too which may be on player.
- Everything is broken; the real-life story of a girl who recovered from a traumatic brain injury in her early 20's
- Living with Dementia with Ross Kemp on ITV is also a great documentary
- A Word on BBC, is a lovely program about a little boy with Autism, it is a wonderful program, but doesn't portray speech therapists in a positive light, unfortunately, but one to watch to gain insight into the client groups we work with!
UniofReading
Rep:
?
(Original post by MarieLouise88)
Hi Ellen,

I’m also interested in finding out about experience needed. I currently work as a nursery nurse in the NHS alongside Speech and Language working with preschool children with global developmental delay or social communication difficulties but have no experience working with older people, is this something I should be looking to do?

Also interested to know what the workload is like and how many hours are you in uni per week? I have two children of primary school age, I am hoping to apply for BCU and am undecided between their full or part time degree option in order to work around my children as much as possible.

Thank you 😊
Hi,

Wow, that sounds like great experience!! It is useful to have some adult experience but, not essential! As long as you can show you have an understanding of the adult client groups, conditions we may work with and the importance of speech and language therapists in the adult client groups.

The workload will vary across the universities, I would say that it isn't like any other course, it is full-on, but it's so worth it because you are having to learn everything to then use on placement throughout the course. The contact hours do vary between the years, first-year has the most contact hours, but is by no means 9-5 (at Reading anyway!), I would say that in the third year I had around 12 hours at most a week of contact, this is not including placements. But there is also a lot of independent studies required too.

I would recommend talking to the department at BCU about your arrangements, as they will be able to give you a better idea as to whether the full time or part-time course would be appropriate, and what support is available for you from the university to ensure you're able to fulfil the potential of the course.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Ellen
Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads