The Student Room Group

cv writing tips please

Hi, I'm 16 and am thinking of getting a part-time job soon but I have no work experience except for volunteering at a charity shop. I'm open to anything so my question is how do I tailor my cv to not just focus on one job time and make it more general.

I've heard some people say to tailor the cv to the job and the organization. So does that mean i have to change my cv every time i apply to a different job
Yes, you have to write a CV for each job! A general one is less likely to get anything, sorry
Original post by fuegokiki
Hi, I'm 16 and am thinking of getting a part-time job soon but I have no work experience except for volunteering at a charity shop. I'm open to anything so my question is how do I tailor my cv to not just focus on one job time and make it more general.

I've heard some people say to tailor the cv to the job and the organization. So does that mean i have to change my cv every time i apply to a different job

Hi @fuegokiki

You don't have to completely change your c.v each time. However, it is better to tailor you c.v to the particular organization or job, you can do this, for example by looking at their website and seeing what key skills or qualities they require and then on your c.v demonstrate how you meet the skills and requirements.

Let me know if you have any further questions and good luck!

Zaira :smile:
Volunteering at a charity shop is a good amount of experience for someone your age.
When I was making my CV I used a site called Unifrog that my sixth form recommended, can't remember if the school has to sort that out or not. But as mentioned before, adjusting your CV for each area of work (e.g. Retail, Care) or even for each job so that you highlight the skills that the job wants specifically can make a difference when applying or jobs.
Tailoring your CV to the specific role you’re applying for is generally necessary if you’re going after full time jobs or supervisor/manager positions.

For the 16-18 year olds doing minimum wage stuff it’s not that big of a deal. I have to recruit people in that age bracket and we rarely pay much attention to CVs because nobody is expected to have an impressive resume going for their first job. Personality in interviews and a good work ethic on a trial shift is what will do it for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending