The Student Room Group

Got A*A*A and A* EPQ and still rejected by firm

For Imperial Physics. Needed A* in physics, got that in my mock but my CAG was A so it stayed the same after the U-turn. Wtf do I do now
Go somewhere else or take a gap year and resit in October. Imperial is arguably the most competitive university in the UK. The problem is that most leading universities have closed clearing. Possibly try Lancaster to see if they still have room.
Reply 2
I have my insurance place at Birmingham but I feel like I can go somewhere better to be honest.
Original post by JackJ36
I have my insurance place at Birmingham but I feel like I can go somewhere better to be honest.

There isnt going to be anywhere better. The best has rejected you and you need to face that. Your teachers didnt think you would get the A* and Imperial are unforgiving on a missed grade in any year let alone in this year where the A* rate is nearly double previous years. Due to this universities are now far less likely to accept missed grades as the pool with higher grades is now so great. Part of the problem of the stupid policy of allowing far more students having higher grades by accepting proven totally inaccurate teachers grades. Every year 75% dont reach the teachers inflated predictions and this year only 40% didnt
If you've decided Birmingham isn't right for you and resitting/taking a gap year to reapply to Imperial isn't an option, then you could always see which Russell Group universities still have their clearing lines open and see what places they have.
Unfortunately, like said above, many RG universities have closed their clearing applications given the increased demand in handling admissions because of the A-level fiasco this year.
If there are no other places available, you could always go to Birmingham with the intention of transferring next year. You might find you enjoy it there though and your apprehension is purely disappointment for not getting into Imperial.
I knew someone who was the first student from their sixth form to get an offer from Oxford. It was in all the local papers and his photo still comes up on Google as the "local lad going to Oxford". He missed out by a grade and ended up at his insurance. Took a while to get over the disappointment, but he ended up having a great time at uni and came out with a very good degree.
You do have options there, they just might not be the ones you want at the minute!
Reply 5
Original post by JackJ36
For Imperial Physics. Needed A* in physics, got that in my mock but my CAG was A so it stayed the same after the U-turn. Wtf do I do now

You've two main options:
- go to your insurance (in normal years that would have been your plan)
- resit your physics in Oct and get an A*. Ask Imperial if they will honour your place if you meet their conditions but deferred to 2021 entry. If they won't, reapply to them for 2021 entry. If you don't get the A* in Oct, reapply elsewhere. Think of something nice to do in your gap year.
Reply 6
Idk I really wanted to take a gap year, even before corona. But this government decision has inflated grades by so much that I won’t be able to get in even if I did further maths to improve my application.
Hi @JackJ36, we can confirm that Clearing for Physics at Lancaster closed on Friday. It seems that Imperial College have in fact changed their stance: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/after-you-apply/exam-results-what-next/

It may be worth contacting them to discuss your options. We hope that you are able to secure a place and wish you well in this. :smile: ^Laura

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending