The Student Room Group

Second Degree Tuition Loan

Hello, I already have a student loan (tuition & maintenance) for a Psychology degree I completed from 2010-2013. I would now like to apply for Dental Hygiene degree but would like to know if I am eligible for any help? One of the other clinicians I work with also did a previous degree, but as it was only three years long was entitled to another two years of funding from student loans? Is this true? Many thanks in advance for your help.
Amie
Original post by Amie14
Hello, I already have a student loan (tuition & maintenance) for a Psychology degree I completed from 2010-2013. I would now like to apply for Dental Hygiene degree but would like to know if I am eligible for any help? One of the other clinicians I work with also did a previous degree, but as it was only three years long was entitled to another two years of funding from student loans? Is this true? Many thanks in advance for your help.
Amie

Hello,

Would you not be able to contact your work (if it is in dental) or approach a company who may be able to pay for your tuition in return for you working there. My aunt did this when she became an accountant after doing a psychology degree. Unsure about student finance but this might be a good option!

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by Amie14
Amie

Hi Amie, is this dental hygiene & therapy, graduate entry dentistry or undergraduate dentistry?

Can you confirm the exact course name and university name please.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Amie, is this dental hygiene & therapy, graduate entry dentistry or undergraduate dentistry?

Can you confirm the exact course name and university name please.
Thanks, Isaac

Hello, it is for Hygiene BSc at Eastman UCL - it is undergraduate course

Sorry for the late reply!
Reply 4
I have also applied for Oral Health at Queen Marys, Oral health at Essex and Hygiene Therapy at Kings
Original post by Amie14
Hello, it is for Hygiene BSc at Eastman UCL - it is undergraduate course

Sorry for the late reply!

Hi, what university is this? University College London?

Original post by Amie14
I have also applied for Oral Health at Queen Marys, Oral health at Essex and Hygiene Therapy at Kings

The "BSc Oral Health (Dental Hygiene/Therapy)" at Queen Mary University of London is an exception course, you can be funded for this.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Hi, what university is this? University College London?

The "BSc Oral Health (Dental Hygiene/Therapy)" at Queen Mary University of London is an exception course, you can be funded for this.

Thanks, Isaac

Hi Issac, yes the Eastman is now in collaboration with London South Bank uni

Ok my friend is already on the queen marys course and is having to fund it herself as she already has a previous degree also?

How about essex or kings?

Thanks,
Amie
Original post by Amie14
Hi Issac, yes the Eastman is now in collaboration with London South Bank uni

Ok my friend is already on the queen marys course and is having to fund it herself as she already has a previous degree also?

How about essex or kings?

Thanks,
Amie

Dental Hygiene/Therapy is an exception course.

When you say Essex/Kings - please provide the full exact university name and course name.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
Dental Hygiene/Therapy is an exception course.

When you say Essex/Kings - please provide the full exact university name and course name.
Thanks, Isaac

Eastman is BSc Dental Hygiene
Kings is BSc Dental Hygiene & therapy
Essex is diploma in oral health
Reply 9
Original post by Amie14
Eastman is BSc Dental Hygiene
Kings is BSc Dental Hygiene & therapy
Essex is diploma in oral health

Hi Isaac please see below for details on courses and unis - Eastman isn’t included on here as they don’t go through UCAS - does that mean they wouldn’t be eligible for funding even though it’s a dental hygiene BSc?
Reply 10
Hi Isaac
Sorry to bombard you with messages but if you could check this one for me especially I would be most grateful-
BSc in Dental Hygiene at UCLH Eastman Dental Hospital & London South Bank University

Thanks for your help!
Amie
Original post by Amie14
Hi Isaac
Sorry to bombard you with messages but if you could check this one for me especially I would be most grateful-
BSc in Dental Hygiene at UCLH Eastman Dental Hospital & London South Bank University

Thanks for your help!
Amie

I will check this and get back to you later today.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 12
Ok thanks Isaac!
Original post by Amie14
Hi Isaac

Thanks for your help!
Amie

There is no course with the name "Dental Hygiene" at London South Bank University. Therefore you will not be entitled to funding for this course.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 14
Hi Isaac,

It is not with London south bank university it is with University College London and Eastman dental hospital - it is in collaboration with London South Bank University. This course used to be funded by the NHS but now they are not & I have been told that you can now apply for student finance for it.

Please see the attached.

Thanks.
Amie
Original post by Amie14
Hi Isaac,

It is not with London south bank university it is with University College London and Eastman dental hospital - it is in collaboration with London South Bank University. This course used to be funded by the NHS but now they are not & I have been told that you can now apply for student finance for it.

Please see the attached.

Thanks.
Amie

There is no undergraduate course with the name "Dental Hygiene" at the University College London. You will not be entitled to funding as the course must be on the database to be eligible.
There is a masters course with this name.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 16
There is no undergraduate course with the name "Dental Hygiene" at the University College London. You will not be entitled to funding as the course must be on the database to be eligible.
There is a masters course with this name.
Thanks, Isaac

They only recruit every 2/3 years - I will contact them directly and ask :smile: thanks
Original post by Amie14
They only recruit every 2/3 years - I will contact them directly and ask :smile: thanks

You're welcome :smile:
Reply 18
Hi Issac, the course that I was telling you about is now live on UCAS - B751 BSc dental hygiene, London south bank uni - is it now eligible for student finance?
Original post by Amie14
Hi Issac, the course that I was telling you about is now live on UCAS - B751 BSc dental hygiene, London south bank uni - is it now eligible for student finance?

Hi Amie, there is no course with that name on the database for London South Bank University.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending