The Student Room Group

My mum uses me as a therapist

My mum is the kindest, most selfless and loving mum you could ever ask for. She would literally do anything for me. But she has had a very traumatic life, her childhood has given her deression and extreme anxiety. A couple of years ago she was in hospital for 6 months and went into a coma. From this she has ptsd and gets bad flashbacks. She’s an alcoholic and is having a bad relationship with her husband. She is constantly venting every problem she has to me, all the time and I’m starting to feel numb and apathetic to her. This then makes me feel guilty as I know she would listen to all of my problems, but I hate how she just offloads everything on to me. Am I a bad person for feeling this way?
Original post by Beccaasxo
My mum is the kindest, most selfless and loving mum you could ever ask for. She would literally do anything for me. But she has had a very traumatic life, her childhood has given her deression and extreme anxiety. A couple of years ago she was in hospital for 6 months and went into a coma. From this she has ptsd and gets bad flashbacks. She’s an alcoholic and is having a bad relationship with her husband. She is constantly venting every problem she has to me, all the time and I’m starting to feel numb and apathetic to her. This then makes me feel guilty as I know she would listen to all of my problems, but I hate how she just offloads everything on to me. Am I a bad person for feeling this way?

You are absolutely justified in how you feel. You aren't a professional, and so you can't advise her/console her in the way she probably wants. Has she received counselling before, and is this something you can suggest to her?
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You are absolutely justified in how you feel. You aren't a professional, and so you can't advise her/console her in the way she probably wants. Has she received counselling before, and is this something you can suggest to her?

She has had counselling before, she stopped as it briefly got better but it’s back again. Since corona has stopped face to face therapy, it isn’t really possible at the moment

want some advice treat her like a bank lol
She has had counselling before, she stopped as it briefly got better but it’s back again. Since corona has stopped face to face therapy, it isn’t really possible at the moment

Can she access to counselling over Zoom or similar? The situation could have gotten better because the counselling was helping, but stopping may have caused her to lose that progress.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending