The Student Room Group

How do I tell my parents I want to move out?

I'm going to be 20 in December. I'm in my second year of University but I live at home still and I really want to move out for a LOT of reasons that I don't want to get into right now. My parents are really nice, I have three siblings the oldest of which moved out when she was only 16. I don't know how to tell my parents that I want to leave. I've been saying that I don't want to stay inside and saying "oh, when I move out etc" a few times over the last couple of weeks which I've never done before but I'm not sure where to go from here. I know I should just sit them down and tell them but I feel like it will upset them a lot. I also know I should wait until I finish University in 2022 but I cannot wait that long I will genuinely go INSANE! Any advice on how to bring it up or how to cope at home for longer under so much stress?
I wouldn't beat around the bush. Slow dripping of hints only causes nerves for them. None of this, 'sit them down and make it a big deal either'.

I would simply pose the question, how would you feel if I moved out now?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to be 20 in December. I'm in my second year of University but I live at home still and I really want to move out for a LOT of reasons that I don't want to get into right now. My parents are really nice, I have three siblings the oldest of which moved out when she was only 16. I don't know how to tell my parents that I want to leave. I've been saying that I don't want to stay inside and saying "oh, when I move out etc" a few times over the last couple of weeks which I've never done before but I'm not sure where to go from here. I know I should just sit them down and tell them but I feel like it will upset them a lot. I also know I should wait until I finish University in 2022 but I cannot wait that long I will genuinely go INSANE! Any advice on how to bring it up or how to cope at home for longer under so much stress?

How would you fund moving out?
Go to them and so you want to move out?
Well. You have three options.

1. Disappear. They'll get the hint.
2. Don't say anything the entire time until the day of, with your bags packed and your room empty and your lease signed and deposit paid. They can't stop you.
3. Email them or leave a letter stuck on the fridge or door lol

Bonus round!!!!!!

4. Cry and fuss about how you hate your life and hate everyone in it and announce you're running away 🏃
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
How would you fund moving out?

I have a lot of savings and I also have a part-time job
Reply 6
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Well. You have three options.

1. Disappear. They'll get the hint.
2. Don't say anything the entire time until the day of, with your bags packed and your room empty and your lease signed and deposit paid. They can't stop you.
3. Email them or leave a letter stuck on the fridge or door lol

Bonus round!!!!!!

4. Cry and fuss about how you hate your life and hate everyone in it and announce you're running away 🏃

Wow... I'm sure that's great advice for someone but I could never lol.
I have a lot of savings and I also have a part-time job

Check costs of renting a room, electricity, water, gas plus food etc. It is not cheap which is why many students start off at home after uni. A part-time job won;t be enough.
Wow... I'm sure that's great advice for someone but I could never lol.

Could never what. These are all pretty low risk, low intensity suggestions....
Reply 9
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Could never what. These are all pretty low risk, low intensity suggestions....

Well it is kind of Bang Outta Order to just up and leave like that...
Original post by Muttley79
Check costs of renting a room, electricity, water, gas plus food etc. It is not cheap which is why many students start off at home after uni. A part-time job won;t be enough.

Yes definitely! I've already done a bunch of research and figured out places I can and cannot afford!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending