The Student Room Group

Is it normal to feel sick/have bad belly ache after taking Dulcolax (laxatives)

Every time I eat to much, I take a laxative before I go bed. I wake up early due to bad belly aches and empty out in the toilet. The belly ache still doesn’t go so I put a fan heater near my belly. By time, it does go down. Is this normal to happen after taking them?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Every time I eat to much, I take a laxative before I go bed. I wake up early due to bad belly aches and empty out in the toilet. The belly ache still doesn’t go so I put a fan heater near my belly. By time, it does go down. Is this normal to happen after taking them?

Hi, yes it is normal to feel like this. But what I would say, is you need to speak to your GP if this is becoming habitual for you, which it sounds like it is.

Are you taking them because you can't go to the loo (constipation) or are you taking because you feel you have eaten too much?

You need to stop relying on them because your bowel will get used to them and before you know it you will be reliant upon them which is not a good place to be in.
Reply 2
Original post by JemimaJ
Hi, yes it is normal to feel like this. But what I would say, is you need to speak to your GP if this is becoming habitual for you, which it sounds like it is.

Are you taking them because you can't go to the loo (constipation) or are you taking because you feel you have eaten too much?

You need to stop relying on them because your bowel will get used to them and before you know it you will be reliant upon them which is not a good place to be in.

A bit of both. But mostly that I feel that I’ve eaten too much as I’ve been on a strict diet for 7-8 weeks now as I’m overweight
Reply 3
A bit of both. But mostly that I feel that I’ve eaten too much as I’ve been on a strict diet for 7-8 weeks now as I’m overweight

I would suggest seeing your GP, laxatives do not bring about weight gain (honestly), and you may not be overweight, Please seek some advice because this is not healthy for anyone - increase your fibre if you are constipated, drink more fluids but laxatives are not the answer to this.
Laxative abuse is not the way forward. I have been there myself. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life on the toilet, or thinking about when you'll next need to be on the toilet?

Regardless of what your weight is, your body deserves love and respect from you. If you struggle with overeating, try increasing your protein intake. I've recently started swapping my usual snacks for vegan protein bars and noticed my bowel habits are more regular. Protein bars not only satisfy you for longer than a normal cake/chocolate bar, but are also packed with fibre. I'm not suggesting to live off protein bars, but try substituting one of your snacks for a protein bar. Swap white bread/pasta/rice for brown wholemeal versions. Drink at least 2 litres of water each day. Your body will thank you for this.
The only thing laxatives will bring you long-term is a perforated bowel and regular rectum examinations at the hospital.
Reply 5
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
Laxative abuse is not the way forward. I have been there myself. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life on the toilet, or thinking about when you'll next need to be on the toilet?

Regardless of what your weight is, your body deserves love and respect from you. If you struggle with overeating, try increasing your protein intake. I've recently started swapping my usual snacks for vegan protein bars and noticed my bowel habits are more regular. Protein bars not only satisfy you for longer than a normal cake/chocolate bar, but are also packed with fibre. I'm not suggesting to live off protein bars, but try substituting one of your snacks for a protein bar. Swap white bread/pasta/rice for brown wholemeal versions. Drink at least 2 litres of water each day. Your body will thank you for this.
The only thing laxatives will bring you long-term is a perforated bowel and regular rectum examinations at the hospital.

I am in total agreement with you here, I have an eating disorder and MS and no medication works for me anymore. You just end up reliant on laxatives, having to plan to stay in the house for 24+ hours because you do not know when the laxatives will work, and you end up having to take more and more of them to achieve the same outcome.

I honestly think that a trip to the GP is in order, because they can help signpost to other services such as a dietician or if someone is really struggling to empty their bowels, then maybe seeing a gastroenterologist who can help if needs be.

A healthy diet is much better; fad diets just result in temporary weight loss followed by binging. You should stop using laxatives.
Laxatives dont make you lose weight, by the time you are at the point of passing fecal matter all the fat and other stuff from the stuff you have eaten will have already been absorbed by your body. Stools are by definition the waste products.
Reply 8

I would definitely agree with the advice to talk to your GP.

How old are you?
Reply 9
Original post by Kerzen
I would definitely agree with the advice to talk to your GP.

How old are you?

I’ve lost 4 kg due to my dieting and haven’t had any fried foods for 2 months now.
Laxatives I take about twice a week when I think I ate too much that day (I treated myself to homemade curry yesterday), as I haven’t had any curry for 2 months either.
Anyways the belly ache and nausea has really put me off them. So I guess I’ll have to stop taking laxatives. My food diet is working fine.
My BMI is 26.6 I think. I think the GP helps you more when your very overweight, almost obese with BMI almost 30. I had this issue with them 2 years ago.

And I’m 26.
Reply 10
The idea of speaking to the GP is not really about help with weight loss, it's more about getting support, Counselling, perhaps, to help you move away from the taking of laxatives. If you can wean yourself off taking them, that will really help you.

Quick Reply

Latest