The Student Room Group

What am i doing???

I’m currently studying maths at University and i absolutely love it, but I also love biology, pharmacology, medicine and that kind of thing, and I miss doing it.
What possible career paths or educational routes could i pursues to get the best of both worlds (apart from grad med)?
Any help would be appreciated!!
Reply 1
Maybe looking into pharmacy which combines your mathematical knowledge with biological aspects of how drugs work
If you go into biological and biomedicine research, there is quite a lot of statistical analysis work that goes on there. Correlation graphs that require quantification with equations, tools like ANOVA (Analysis of Variances), ANCOVA (Analysis of Covariances), calculation of risk percentages for things, working out all the "is this result at the correct significance level to be meaningful" stuff.

When I did my Nutrition degree, although the degree didn't have too much maths in it, my thesis had quite a lot of maths in it which makes me think a person could specialize in that kind of math-heavy research.

Also, I'm not sure, but could Biomedical engineering have a bigger mathematical component?
And what about biotechnology? and biophysics?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jks
Maybe looking into pharmacy which combines your mathematical knowledge with biological aspects of how drugs work

Yeah that definitely sounds interesting
Original post by dardasiya
If you go into biological and biomedicine research, there is quite a lot of statistical analysis work that goes on there. Correlation graphs that require quantification with equations, tools like ANOVA (Analysis of Variances), ANCOVA (Analysis of Covariances), calculation of risk percentages for things, working out all the "is this result at the correct significance level to be meaningful" stuff.

When I did my Nutrition degree, although the degree didn't have too much maths in it, my thesis had quite a lot of maths in it which makes me think a person could specialize in that kind of math-heavy research.

Also, I'm not sure, but could Biomedical engineering have a bigger mathematical component?
And what about biotechnology? and biophysics?

I’m not really that into biotech because I don’t really enjoy the engineering/physics side of things but research definitely seems like a possible career path

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending