The Student Room Group

My mum wants to divorce my dad but he won’t let her

So my parents have been in a difficult marriage for years, with the final straw being my dad being abusive with my mum, after which she called the police and got him kicked out of the house. My dad and all of his relatives and my mum’s relatives too are saying my mum is mental and doesn’t know what she’s talking about, and my mum has begun the divorce process but is worried about what my dad and his family and her family will say or do
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So my parents have been in a difficult marriage for years, with the final straw being my dad being abusive with my mum, after which she called the police and got him kicked out of the house. My dad and all of his relatives and my mum’s relatives too are saying my mum is mental and doesn’t know what she’s talking about, and my mum has begun the divorce process but is worried about what my dad and his family and her family will say or do

Suggest to your mum that she contacts a support service such as:
https://www.refuge.org.uk/get-help-now/support-for-women/

to get help and advice. Hope things get better soon.

I'm really sorry to hear what your mum's been through and I hope she's ok. My mum was in a similar situation and suffered years of appalling abuse from my 'dad'. I'd definitely be contacting Refuge and other domestic abuse charities for support. When my mum got divorced, the one thing she worried about was my 'dad' going to custody. The police report which will have been filed will help your mum enormously and assuming that you're late teens, you will be given a say in which parent you want to stay with and whether your dad gets access. Also, make sure you take care of yourself and access any support you might need - I didn't and the situation with my parents has left me with PTSD and toxic shame which I'm now having to get counselling for. I'm here if you need any further help or advice.
Is your father violent or on any medication?

It looks like your mother has decided that she's had enough and no longer wants to live with your father or be married to him.
You father and his family are likely tring to pressure her not to go ahead with the divorce and take him back.
They have decided that ganging up to insult her, label her "mental" and denying the facts of your father's abuse are their best possible ways of reacting to her decision and persuading her to change her mind.

Does your mother have divorce lawyers and a strong social support system from friends or her relatives to provide her with access to advice & practical assistance during the divorce?
Reply 4
Original post by marple
Suggest to your mum that she contacts a support service such as:
https://www.refuge.org.uk/get-help-now/support-for-women/

to get help and advice. Hope things get better soon.

Thank you so much, I will have a look at this
Reply 5
I'm really sorry to hear what your mum's been through and I hope she's ok. My mum was in a similar situation and suffered years of appalling abuse from my 'dad'. I'd definitely be contacting Refuge and other domestic abuse charities for support. When my mum got divorced, the one thing she worried about was my 'dad' going to custody. The police report which will have been filed will help your mum enormously and assuming that you're late teens, you will be given a say in which parent you want to stay with and whether your dad gets access. Also, make sure you take care of yourself and access any support you might need - I didn't and the situation with my parents has left me with PTSD and toxic shame which I'm now having to get counselling for. I'm here if you need any further help or advice.

Thank you so much- I’m currently 19 and have two younger siblings, one is 15 and one is 11. I’m in such a tricky situation at the moment as I love both my parents deeply and I know they love us, and I don’t know where to stand in all this. The police have asked me if I could provide a statement, but how can me as my dad’s daughter provide a statement that could possibly lead to something bigger and more dangerous? I know that my mum has been suffering for years and I do want her to get out of this, but I’m so worried that my dad and his family and my mum’s family will paint my mum as mental; she has been suffering immensely from depression and she needs to get out of this marriage as soon as she can, but it’s becoming a lot harder as my dad refuses to continue with the divorce. The police are currently leading an ongoing investigation and there have been reports that my mum made against my dad from years ago too but she retracted them in the end, but now it’s become something much bigger and I’m worried about what’s going to happen, both financially and with our house and what’s going to happen with my younger siblings too, especially if they manage to convince the authorities that my mum is mental or something when she isn’t. I have suffered from this all too growing up and now I’m completely lost. I really appreciate your advice though; I’m too ashamed to talk to any of my friends about this and definitely not any relatives, and so the only people I can talk to are people online or anonymously
Thank you so much- I’m currently 19 and have two younger siblings, one is 15 and one is 11. I’m in such a tricky situation at the moment as I love both my parents deeply and I know they love us, and I don’t know where to stand in all this. The police have asked me if I could provide a statement, but how can me as my dad’s daughter provide a statement that could possibly lead to something bigger and more dangerous? I know that my mum has been suffering for years and I do want her to get out of this, but I’m so worried that my dad and his family and my mum’s family will paint my mum as mental; she has been suffering immensely from depression and she needs to get out of this marriage as soon as she can, but it’s becoming a lot harder as my dad refuses to continue with the divorce. The police are currently leading an ongoing investigation and there have been reports that my mum made against my dad from years ago too but she retracted them in the end, but now it’s become something much bigger and I’m worried about what’s going to happen, both financially and with our house and what’s going to happen with my younger siblings too, especially if they manage to convince the authorities that my mum is mental or something when she isn’t. I have suffered from this all too growing up and now I’m completely lost. I really appreciate your advice though; I’m too ashamed to talk to any of my friends about this and definitely not any relatives, and so the only people I can talk to are people online or anonymously

She doesn't need his permission to divorce him. You need to tell the truth about the abuse you've witnessed. She will be allowed to stay in he house whilst there are young siblings .
Reply 7
Original post by londonmyst
Is your father violent or on any medication?

It looks like your mother has decided that she's had enough and no longer wants to live with your father or be married to him.
You father and his family are likely tring to pressure her not to go ahead with the divorce and take him back.
They have decided that ganging up to insult her, label her "mental" and denying the facts of your father's abuse are their best possible ways of reacting to her decision and persuading her to change her mind.

Does your mother have divorce lawyers and a strong social support system from friends or her relatives to provide her with access to advice & practical assistance during the divorce?

My mum says my dad has been violent in the past and that he hurts her sometimes when they’re asleep . I’ve never witnessed this myself, but I have witnessed all the verbal abuse that my mum faced.

That is definitely the case, my mum has been dealing with her toxic marriage for over 20 years and is absolutely lost and devastated. My dad and his family are all persuading us not to go with the divorce and are even sending empty threats, which are worrying us immensely. Most of them don’t even believe that my dad was abusive to my mum and instead think my mum is mental, even my mum’s own family and relatives, and they refuse to believe that my dad has done any wrong . Everything thinks he is this faultless person and I do love my dad, but he isn’t faultless. Everyone has their faults, and I don’t blame my mum for wanting to end their marriage.

My mum has been speaking to legal advisors and her therapists for a while now, and they are helping her with the divorce process. She doesn’t have a strong support system with friends, as most of them are telling her to just deal with it and most people go through this anyway; she just has a few friends who are on her side. Her relatives are all against her and forcing her to stay in her marriage and are labelling her as mental etc. I’m just so glad she has legal advisors and a few close friends on her side, as they are helping her with the divorce process. I’m just incredibly worried what’s going to happen going on from here
Reply 8
Bump
Reply 9
Hello,

I am really sorry that you are experiencing all of this.

As others have suggested, I would speak to a domestic abuse charity ASAP.

It may also be useful for yourself to talk to a Family Law Solicitor. While you may need to pay for some, others provide advice 'probono' or paid by the government, which is free to you. These lawyers are perhaps the best qualified to talk to you about what you could say to protect your mum, your siblings or what you could do in terms of helping your mum whilst maintaining a relationship with your dad. They will also be free of judgement as they will see cases like these quite regularly. Have a google for how to access free family law advice in your area, some charities might even provide it.

It may also be worth speaking to a children's charity. They can give advice on what you are going through and how to protect yourself and your siblings through this whole situation.

Wishing you all the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending