The Student Room Group

UCAS Application

Hi Everyone,
Need some advice, my teachers have predicted me BBB grades, however I have been achieving AAC since the start of year 12.
Now I am in year 13 and have completed my UCAS application with the BBB predictions as the teachers have told me that nothing could be done to raise them.
Within my references, there are mentions of my most recent mock grades being A*A*C.
I am applying for Geography at UCL, Kings College, Queen Mary, University of Birmingham and Royal Holloway.
I also qualify for the contextual offer for UCL which brings the offer down to ABB.
I also have mitigating circumstances that were mentioned within my references.
Do I have a chance at getting offers from any of these Universities?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Everyone,
Need some advice, my teachers have predicted me BBB grades, however I have been achieving AAC since the start of year 12.
Now I am in year 13 and have completed my UCAS application with the BBB predictions as the teachers have told me that nothing could be done to raise them.
Within my references, there are mentions of my most recent mock grades being A*A*C.
I am applying for Geography at UCL, Kings College, Queen Mary, University of Birmingham and Royal Holloway.
I also qualify for the contextual offer for UCL which brings the offer down to ABB.

Yeah a good chance I think
Hi Everyone,

The ABB one for UCL should be fine cause I'm pretty sure it's fine for you to be 1 grade below in your predicted anyway. And if you've had mitigating circumstances too, that is no bad thing in terms of the universities being lenient. Plus I think university of Birmingham is actually considering lowering their standard offers for some courses by 1 grade due to disrupted learning during the pandemic (not the only uni doing this, I think SOAS is as well!) so try not to panic too much :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by tipexmaster25
The ABB one for UCL should be fine cause I'm pretty sure it's fine for you to be 1 grade below in your predicted anyway. And if you've had mitigating circumstances too, that is no bad thing in terms of the universities being lenient. Plus I think university of Birmingham is actually considering lowering their standard offers for some courses by 1 grade due to disrupted learning during the pandemic (not the only uni doing this, I think SOAS is as well!) so try not to panic too much :smile:

thank you so much, this really helped :smile:!
Reply 4
Yeah a good chance I think

thank you!
Can’t you ask your teachers to raise your predicted grades, by the fact that you’ve been achieving A*s in your exams
Reply 6
Hi Everyone,

Can’t you ask your teachers to raise your predicted grades, by the fact that you’ve been achieving A*s in your exams

have been asking almost every teacher, they say that ALPS targets are the fairest way to predict the grades.
have been asking almost every teacher, they say that ALPS targets are the fairest way to predict the grades.

I feel like that’s not fair.
Reply 8
I feel like that’s not fair.

me too, they were originally going to do mock tests that could potentially change them, but they argued that not everyone had internet access during lockdown to complete work- which is fair, however it puts everyone else at a disadvantage
Reply 9

thank you so much for your reply, i forgot to mention that my GCSE spanish grade is one level beneath what is required. needed a 5 got a 4. will this and the fact that my predicted grades don’t meet the contextual offer affect my chances of getting an offer significantly?
thank you so much for your reply, i forgot to mention that my GCSE spanish grade is one level beneath what is required. needed a 5 got a 4. will this and the fact that my predicted grades don’t meet the contextual offer affect my chances of getting an offer significantly?

I think GCSEs won't have that much of an impact to be honest. Especially with you having mitigating circumstances too. I don't think it will have too much impact so try not to worry! :smile:
I think GCSEs won't have that much of an impact to be honest. Especially with you having mitigating circumstances too. I don't think it will have too much impact so try not to worry! :smile:

thank you so much again! :smile:

ALPS are not the way to do it - never heard of this in any school.
Original post by Muttley79
ALPS are not the way to do it - never heard of this in any school.

this is the way my school has said that they are doing them
this is the way my school has said that they are doing them

Why - ALPS consistently underpredicts - they should trust their own judgement!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending