The Student Room Group

why do people remarry/redate after their partner dies?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
the kids or the dad probably didn't think it was replacement, i wouldn't want to find someone after my partners death, i still think infidelity,

you've just been moaning that it's a replacement and now your saying it isn't a replacement to marry someone else?
how many years did he wait? and i think it is sad he woudl've stayed miserable if he didn't find anyone, but i also think it's messed up that he found someone, because i think it's replacement, so i think it's messed up either way, so i don't know what to say,

2 or 3 years? I can't remember. No, it's not messed up, it's really not. And it's not replacement for either of them. I mean, think what you want, but I don't see how it's disrespectful or messed up. All I see is that my brother is happy, his wife is happy and their kids are happy. And they remember their late partners/parents. I wouldn't expect you to understand

the kids stopped being miserable because their dad replaced their mum? Sounds far-fetched, their mum was still dead. I can see how the dad was happy to meet a new wife though.

I mean, they were sad that their mum died. Of course they were sad. And they didn't stop being sad after my brother met his current wife, none of it happened overnight.
My aunt died 3 days after being diagnosed with cancer, she told her husband of almost 29 years to find someone and be happy. He can’t replace her. As she is irreplaceable, they were together for over 30 years, had 2 kids together, and had already gone through her having cancer previously. No matter how hard he tries, no one would be able to compare to his late wife.
but why would they do that, why would you try to replace a child?
Original post by Siannyallen
2 or 3 years? I can't remember. No, it's not messed up, it's really not. And it's not replacement for either of them. I mean, think what you want, but I don't see how it's disrespectful or messed up. All I see is that my brother is happy, his wife is happy and their kids are happy. And they remember their late partners/parents. I wouldn't expect you to understand

I mean, they were sad that their mum died. Of course they were sad. And they didn't stop being sad after my brother met his current wife, none of it happened overnight.

how do you think the role of the partner getting taken by someone else isn't replacement? also i still think it's infidelity, i don't want to share my partner with someone else, and how does your partner having sex with someone else not scare you,
how do you think the role of the partner getting taken by someone else isn't replacement? also i still think it's infidelity, i don't want to share my partner with someone else, and how does your partner having sex with someone else not scare you,

are you Muslim?

But you’ll be dead? You won’t be sharing - as you’ll be dead. It wouldn’t scare me, as I’d be dead and life goes on after death
i don't want to share my partner with someone else, i think them being with someone else after my death is replacement, i heard people say how their partner told them not to be with someone else after they died and the comments were just shoving words into his mouth,, saying how he would've wanted her to be happy, also you said they love their second as much as their first isn't that replacement,

I get that, I really do, but the person being left behind is expected to live like a life of solitude? Both my great grans did that when they lost someone in their 50's, and they were pretty lonely. Perhaps the other person was not going to get married, but still have a long term relationship? Is that 'acceptable'? or are you just going to be selfish and have your other half be miserable for the rest of their life on their own? Anyway you couldnt stop her regardless.
(edited 3 years ago)
But you’ll be dead? You won’t be sharing - as you’ll be dead. It wouldn’t scare me, as I’d be dead and life goes on after death

go take a crap on a dead man's grave he's dead he won't feel anything,

He won’t feel anything, no. But it is disrespectful. However carrying on with your life isn’t disrespectful

My Nonna became a widow at 35, she died at 80 - do you think she should’ve been alone for 45 years?
Original post by ReviseSleeping
My aunt died 3 days after being diagnosed with cancer, she told her husband of almost 29 years to find someone and be happy. He can’t replace her. As she is irreplaceable, they were together for over 30 years, had 2 kids together, and had already gone through her having cancer previously. No matter how hard he tries, no one would be able to compare to his late wife.

but if he was in his 30s instead of 60s and he had beautiful young women to choose from, it wouldn't be so difficult to replace her would it.
Reply 91
no matter how unique and different you can still say which one you love more, i don't want to share my partner, and i don't want my role taken, i don't get how you don't find your partner being intimate or having sex with someone else scary,

why would you assume it's a competition and, if it was, that the second spouse would be loved more than the first? typically the first is the 'best'. everyone who has ever been in love holds special and fond memories for that person that no one else can be compared to. may i assume you've never been in love or not more than once?

this of course is assuming marriage is based on romantic love at all - often it isn't.

i wouldn't have a problem with my spouse having sex with someone if i was dead for obvious reasons - i'm dead. i would be far more worried for someone i love to live a lonely, long life depriving themselves of companionship and depriving themselves of someone else, potentially, loving them.
but if he was in his 30s instead of 60s and he had beautiful young women to choose from, it wouldn't be so difficult to replace her would it.

He was 49. You can try to replace, but nothing will be the same as his first wife

There's plenty of foxes doing that as we speak, shouldn't you be there to clean it up rather than crying on here about your "cheating" future widow?
Original post by ReviseSleeping
He was 49. You can try to replace, but nothing will be the same as his first wife

It won't be the same, but it could be better.
It won't be the same, but it could be better.

Yeah, I fully agree with that. But then he’d still be happy, which is what my aunt wanted
(edited 3 years ago)
There's plenty of foxes doing that as we speak, shouldn't you be there to clean it up rather than crying on here about your "cheating" future widow?

how about clean your own sh1t,
100 posts on a ridiculous thread by a loony toon who has not budged his opinion one bit whilst encountering an overwhelming ocean wave of dissention to his opinion..
100 posts on a ridiculous thread by a loony toon who has not budged his opinion one bit whilst encountering an overwhelming ocean wave of dissention to his opinion..

lol,
He won’t feel anything, no. But it is disrespectful. However carrying on with your life isn’t disrespectful

My Nonna became a widow at 35, she died at 80 - do you think she should’ve been alone for 45 years?

My husbands grandma had her first husband die in WWII. If she had not met her second, her kids wouldnt have been born, and id never met my hubby or had my 2 girls...... Agreed. Carrying on with your life isnt disrepectful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending