The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Surnia
You don't think smoking weed is bad? It's ILLEGAL!

Double standards if you indulge, then complain about your boyfriend. Was he smoking it when you got together? Were you? You've allowed this to hapoen for 6 months, and you'd be in a better position to discuss how it makes you uncomfortable if you stopped smoking it yourself. However, it's got to be his decision. Give him the tools, like the information below, and see what he does:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/cannabis-the-facts/

This is the thing, he enjoys it and i don’t want to be like no smoking at all when it makes him happy and it is a good way for him to hang out with his mates who smoke too, but i don’t like the frequency of the smoking. and i’ve smoked for a while but not often, normally once every two weeks or something, and i would be more than happy to stop that if that’s what we talked about. and i knew he smoked when we got together but didn’t know how much until i moved in with him.
Spoken like a true addict. This is the problem with addiction. They tend to ignore and rationalize how much their habit negatively affects their loved ones.
Original post by StriderHort
It does kind of sound like you object to him smoking at all. What is so important about 4-5 times a day? If it was 5 cups of coffee a day no one would blink. Given worldwide events i'm inclined to let people get through the day however they feel the need to.

given that is says they are at university they are likely 18-21. Studies have shown very clearly that if your brain isn't fully developed, which happens at about 25, you suffer irreversible damage to your brain and on average lowers your IQ, as well as risking cognitive issues.

I don't think drinking coffee is a valid comparison here :wink:
My advice would be that you can't change someone whose been raised in that way for example he reminds me of my self he could be smoking it because he is suffering mentally with stress or depression or because it helps him get on with his day and forget about his problems he could have had a bad childhood been abused as a child or suffered traumatic experiences that he won't tell you about I honestly hope that him smoking weed didn't cause a problem between your relationship I've noticed that this comment was logged 2 years ago and I hope that things went well between use , I also would like to advise you that the word sober may not apply to a weed smoker because often a weed smoker can carry on with his day without acting too much different to when he's not high as weed doesn't get you pis*ed alcohol gets you off your head but bud just makes you relax , I understand that you may want him to stay sobre sometimes but I honestly do think he's mentally addicted too it and can't stop it and that it helps him function and forget about what he's suffered from in the past as long as he doesn't further his habit to cociane or heroin or needle injecting I think youse should be alright maybe if the smell puts you off you can ask him to smoke in a room where you don't have to be in so the smell doesn't spread and he keeps the window open as if he grew up like that it can be very hard to change someone's personality and habits if that's who they are
That's my advice to you X
Maybe you should give him a chance .
I'd like to hear if the relationship still is ongoing as you posted this 2 years ago would be helpful to know regarding my situation as your boyfriend sounds abit like me and I would like to know what a girls opinion on being around me while being a heavy smoker would affect my relationship
Original post by StriderHort
It does kind of sound like you object to him smoking at all. What is so important about 4-5 times a day? If it was 5 cups of coffee a day no one would blink. Given worldwide events i'm inclined to let people get through the day however they feel the need to.

Original post by brokestudent3
because a drug addiction is a bit more of an issue than a caffeine addiction..? people shouldn’t need to rely on anything to get through their day

Well just to correct this, caffeine is still a drug; it's a stimulant that can still have many long-term problems (health and otherwise). Granted, it's not a recreational drug, but it's still a drug nonetheless.

https://medlineplus.gov/caffeine.html

And for the record, cannabis also has genuine medicinal uses, such as helping with arthritis and other chronic pains.

Having said all that, there's a HUGE difference between smoking a bit of naturally grown grass, and this engineered Super Skunk that everyone's "caning" these days (no pun intended lol).

Anyways, according to research, only nicotine and opiates (e.g. heroin) are the only physically addictive drugs... all the other additions are psychological (allegedly your honour)

Spoiler

My advice would be that you can't change someone whose been raised in that way for example he reminds me of my self he could be smoking it because he is suffering mentally with stress or depression or because it helps him get on with his day and forget about his problems he could have had a bad childhood been abused as a child or suffered traumatic experiences that he won't tell you about I honestly hope that him smoking weed didn't cause a problem between your relationship I've noticed that this comment was logged 2 years ago and I hope that things went well between use , I also would like to advise you that the word sober may not apply to a weed smoker because often a weed smoker can carry on with his day without acting too much different to when he's not high as weed doesn't get you pis*ed alcohol gets you off your head but bud just makes you relax , I understand that you may want him to stay sobre sometimes but I honestly do think he's mentally addicted too it and can't stop it and that it helps him function and forget about what he's suffered from in the past as long as he doesn't further his habit to cociane or heroin or needle injecting I think youse should be alright maybe if the smell puts you off you can ask him to smoke in a room where you don't have to be in so the smell doesn't spread and he keeps the window open as if he grew up like that it can be very hard to change someone's personality and habits if that's who they are
That's my advice to you X
Maybe you should give him a chance .
I'd like to hear if the relationship still is ongoing as you posted this 2 years ago would be helpful to know regarding my situation as your boyfriend sounds abit like me and I would like to know what a girls opinion on being around me while being a heavy smoker would affect my relationship

Latest

Trending

Trending