The Student Room Group

would you fall out with someone who complains about studies

and health?

Scroll to see replies

Most people are more aware of the quality of their studies (and what is on offer) during the pandemic. They are also aware of their health, in a way they might not have been before.

Is there anything else they have to offer, as a friend?

For example, do you have anything in common, are they funny, do they accept you with all your faults, are they reliable, are they there for you if you need them? These are the really important aspects of a friendship.

I am going to call @harrysbar for this, because she is a friend I made on TSR. We have a good laugh together, but, more importantly, we would be there for each other through thick and thin.

What do you have to offer your friend, in return?
Reply 2
Original post by Oxford Mum
Most people are more aware of the quality of their studies (and what is on offer) during the pandemic. They are also aware of their health, in a way they might not have been before.

For example, do you have anything in common, are they funny, do they accept you with all your faults, are they reliable, are they there for you if you need them? These are the really important aspects of a friendship.

I am going to call @harrysbar for this, because she is a friend I made on TSR. We have a good laugh together, but, more importantly, we would be there for each other through thick and thin.

These people backchat, say I am selfish and invalidate my feelings so not a good friend I would say
Reply 3

I used to help them out with their studies

Hi Oxford Mum :smile:

I think OP needs to give us a lot more information about their situation if they expect a decent answer so we have some context. I mean I wouldn't fall out with a friend who complained about their studies or health from time to time but I suppose if someone was always negative and never asked about your problems only theirs then I would eventually get tired of them as it could come across as self absorbed.
So you don't anymore? Why did you stop? How much help did you give them And what was the friend's reaction to this?
Reply 6
So you don't anymore? Why did you stop? How much help did you give them And what was the friend's reaction to this?

I left studies because of my health.
Why does the friend say you are selfish? What do they backchat about? Do you never criticise them? etc etc
Ah so the issues you do not like hearing about from your friend is actually a big issue with you?

It sounds like you may have some common ground, here? As Harrys says, you are giving us very little information here.
Reply 9
Original post by harrysbar
Hi Oxford Mum :smile:

I think OP needs to give us a lot more information about their situation if they expect a decent answer so we have some context. I mean I wouldn't fall out with a friend who complained about their studies or health from time to time but I suppose if someone was always negative and never asked about your problems only theirs then I would eventually get tired of them as it could come across as self absorbed.

so maybe thats how it came across to them. Basically I suffered from a migraine causing long term memory loss, I told one friend then told 2 after the exam and out of the 2 after an exam, 1 is not completely aware and she said you need to come out of your own little bubble and think of other students, invalidating my feelings and making me feel like I am making a big deal out of nothing, I complained about one subject making me ill.
Why does the friend say you are selfish? What do they backchat about? Do you never criticise them? etc etc

they backchat about me complaining about health and A levels stressing them out hence why they blocked me, and I am selfish but they don’t really have as many health problems (they told me) so they can’t really say I don’t ask them about it.
I'm sorry but for your friend to say that you need to come out of your own little bubble it sounds like this was not just one incident but an ongoing issue that your friends have noticed with you.

You obviously do have a health issue that is very upsetting to you but these comments did not come out of nowhere. Self reflection is hard for all of us but no one's perfect so I suggest you try to think about things from their point of view and ask yourself have you always shown as much interest in their lives and problems as you could have done.
So this is actually about your health, not theirs!

Migraine is not just nothing, it can be very debilitating. Young people in general do not tend to suffer many (if any) health problems, so they simply can't relate and maybe see you as self absorbed or attention seeking (which you are not, it's a real concern).

Or maybe you are just nervous about studying, full stop and this led you to leave your studies?

My mother used to suffer from migraines. Whole days would be lost, as she lay in bed in a darkened room, completely incapacitated and in pain. Then she went to the doctors and they set about finding out which foods and drink was causing it. It turned out to be cheese and alcohol. She used to love dry Martinis and lemonade (always kept a bottle in the fridge), but by cutting out these two things, the migraines stopped and she returned to a normal life.
I'm sorry but for your friend to say that you need to come out of your own little bubble it sounds like this was not just one incident but an ongoing issue that your friends have noticed with you.

You obviously do have a health issue that is very upsetting to you but these comments did not come out of nowhere. Self reflection is hard for all of us but no one's perfect so I suggest you try to think about things from their point of view and ask yourself have you always shown as much interest in their lives and problems as you could have done.

no it was 1 of them that said that thats not really a friend, shes jealous of my grades and wants me to fail that said that to me. Thats invalidating your feelings. Its fine to feel how you feel otherwise it encourages self-hatred. We talk about studies and grades with them, what else? they said they don’t suffer with health problems so I can’t ask them.
I thought you said you had already left education, because of your health, so it would appear she no longer has any reason to be jealous of you?
A hard thing to accept in life is that your feelings don't matter half so much as you think they do to other people. Tbh it doesn't sound like they are real friends, I would make the effort to make some better friends when you get the chance - not easy right now I know, but we won't be in lockdown forever.

I did speak to them about their lives too, 1 of thems dad died and mum got schizophrenia.

Its not right to bottle up your emotions and keep quiet because that fuels anxiety and depression, and my anxiety can cause them to stress out I realised hence why I should have shut up.
I thought you said you had already left education, because of your health, so it would appear she no longer has any reason to be jealous of you?

I have, this is in the past so yes shes not jealous of me anymore.
It's a fine balance - yes we need to talk about our emotions but equally friends can get sick of it if they start to feel like you are burdening them with more negativity than they can handle.

I would speak to your school counsellor or doctor about it and see if you can make an appointment with a counsellor where you can offload your feelings in a safe place.
It's a fine balance - yes we need to talk about our emotions but equally friends can get sick of it if they start to feel like you are burdening them with more negativity than they can handle.

I would speak to your school counsellor or doctor about it and see if you can make an appointment with a counsellor where you can offload your feelings in a safe place.

I get it from their view but I would rather instead of them backchatting tell me to my face. A part of me feels like it wasn’t me, it was something else and I was detached from reality but they aren’t the forgiving type and I don’t care. This happened 3 years ago.

Talking about your health and for one of them to say that made me harm myself the next day in ways that someone noticed because it was on my head as I had a migraine and another one of them asked and I told her the truth, that I did it on purpose and she said is that going to make it all better? thats implying they don’t understand mental health and anxiety and it is encouraging self-hatred to me so thats why I did it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending