The Student Room Group

How much of 'everything' do you tell your best friends?

Do you tell your darkest secrets to your best friends? Or something you're suffering but embarrassing to tell? Especially since they think so high of you and how perfect and strong you are

Scroll to see replies

personally, i don’t. i think there are some things that are better off kept to myself - although i would never think of someone badly if they felt they could tell all.

i am quite a private person though - so that may be why!
Your best friends typically wont think of you as perfect and strong, not in a glorified way anyway.
I don't tell anyone my secrets, hence why they're secret - but yeah embarrassing stuff maybe but I'm pretty open to anyone about embarrassing things, it helps alleviate the mood.
Reply 3
Personally no, maybe never tbh.
Reply 4
Haha I'm quite a private person as well and honestly I don't mind it. But when I see friendships you don't hesitate talking to and pretty much open up about everything. I feel guilty when my best friends asks cause I feel as if I'm supposed to at least share them or perhaps because I want to reach out and think I don't have to carry the burden alone but I'm not sure if they'd give the right advice especially since I'm used to doing things pretty much everything myself. Actually whenever I did, they were mostly helpless too and I was back to 'no one actually understands me better than myself'
Original post by Anonymous
personally, i don’t. i think there are some things that are better off kept to myself - although i would never think of someone badly if they felt they could tell all.

i am quite a private person though - so that may be why!
Na they're more like that with me i'm literally the "therapist", the shoulder to cry on, the active listener.
I wouldn't open up wholesomely with them, only with my family :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by V℮rsions
Your best friends typically wont think of you as perfect and strong, not in a glorified way anyway.
I don't tell anyone my secrets, hence why they're secret - but yeah embarrassing stuff maybe but I'm pretty open to anyone about embarrassing things, it helps alleviate the mood.

Like I said it's something you're 'suffering' or something you're 'sensitive' about, would you be able to brush off talking about them as well?
My school best friend didn't know much about me at all. My secrets and inner most feelings were for my boyfriend someone who loved me, not some silly females who are just going to use your personal info against you.
Haha I'm quite a private person as well and honestly I don't mind it. But when I see friendships you don't hesitate talking to and pretty much open up about everything. I feel guilty when my best friends asks cause I feel as if I'm supposed to at least share them or perhaps because I want to reach out and think I don't have to carry the burden alone but I'm not sure if they'd give the right advice especially since I'm used to doing things pretty much everything myself. Actually whenever I did, they were mostly helpless too and I was back to 'no one actually understands me better than myself'

you shouldn’t feel guilty at all, some people are genuinely just more private due to a plethora of things! everyone should respect your boundaries, regardless if they are an open person or not. i completely understand that a lot of the time advice given by friends can be quite shallow or just not helpful at all, and it just doesn’t feel worth even telling them for such a mediocre reply. hope you’re alright though and you realise that you don’t have to deal with everything on your own if you don’t want to x
Reply 9
Original post by HumbleBee_x
Na they're more like that with me i'm literally the "therapist", the shoulder to cry on, the active listener.
I wouldn't open up wholesomely with them, only with my family :smile:

lol that's exactly what I do too. But now it's as if I want/asking that from them. And it actually somewhat surprises or baffles them and they be like 'well I don't really know what would I say' or you know you can see that and feel the moving away thing I can't remember the right word to describe it exactly but yeah
My school best friend didn't know much about me at all. My secrets and inner most feelings were for my boyfriend someone who loved me, not some silly females who are just going to use your personal info against you.

Lmao I wouldn't really tell if they're someone who'd go against you for sure since it's your 'best friends' it means you 'trust' them.
Lmao I wouldn't really tell if they're someone who'd go against you for sure since it's your 'best friends' it means you 'trust' them.

Isn't it?
you shouldn’t feel guilty at all, some people are genuinely just more private due to a plethora of things! everyone should respect your boundaries, regardless if they are an open person or not. i completely understand that a lot of the time advice given by friends can be quite shallow or just not helpful at all, and it just doesn’t feel worth even telling them for such a mediocre reply. hope you’re alright though and you realise that you don’t have to deal with everything on your own if you don’t want to x

But I don't find the 'right' people to talk to either XD ..........okay maybe it's just going to be me and family but lol I don't wanna worry my parents
I've told them quite a bit, they know that I'm not really normal and they've accepted that, which is why they are my best friends. They've known my dating choices and I've known theirs; they've seen my DMs and I've seen theirs. TBH we don't keep much out other than family ****.
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
I've told them quite a bit, they know that I'm not really normal and they've accepted that, which is why they are my best friends. They've known my dating choices and I've known theirs; they've seen my DMs and I've seen theirs. TBH we don't keep much out other than family ****.

Wow, mate. You've hit the core point. It's exactly is family issues. :smile:

More like financially?

wdum? Also your last sentence is "it is exactly is family issues" wdum by that.
Reply 17
I dont tell them much of anything thats too personal.
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
wdum? Also your last sentence is "it is exactly is family issues" wdum by that.

I misspoke, sorry. I just meant talking about family financial issues.
i tell my best friend EVERYTHING she could literally ruin my life if she wanted to with the things she knows oops-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending