The Student Room Group

Student finance

Hello, wondering if I can get some help before applying please.

I’m currently studying with the Open University and by May 25th will have completed two modules (120 credits), I started February 2020.

I’d like to apply to Birkbeck to start this October 2021 on a foundation year full time, same course. The reason I’d like to apply for the foundation year is that Birkbeck have advised me with my educational background I would likely only be accepted for foundation year. After successful completion of this year I go straight into year two, full time. So the foundation is equivalent to year one. (3 years in total full time).

The other option is to apply for year one (not foundation), but Birkbeck have advised I’ll likely only be considered for part time. This will take four years instead of three.

Student finance have already funded my OU 120 credits.

Am I likely to get funding for either of these options?

Many thanks in advance.
Original post by italianlemons
Hello, wondering if I can get some help before applying please.

I’m currently studying with the Open University and by May 25th will have completed two modules (120 credits), I started February 2020.

I’d like to apply to Birkbeck to start this October 2021 on a foundation year full time, same course. The reason I’d like to apply for the foundation year is that Birkbeck have advised me with my educational background I would likely only be accepted for foundation year. After successful completion of this year I go straight into year two, full time. So the foundation is equivalent to year one. (3 years in total full time).

The other option is to apply for year one (not foundation), but Birkbeck have advised I’ll likely only be considered for part time. This will take four years instead of three.

Student finance have already funded my OU 120 credits.

Am I likely to get funding for either of these options?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi there, previous part time study does not affect eligibility to receive funding for a full time course unless you received a qualification.

Please confirm if you will be receiving a qualification from your time with the OU. Please confirm if you have had any other previous study and if birkbeck will be full or part time.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,

Thanks very much for your help. I've heard that the OU issue a "Milestone" certificate, should you ring up and ask for it, once I come to the end of this current module. However I have no plans on applying for this. My preference would be to start Birkbeck full time, but again this might depend on the response of student finance! I'm 43 so my responses to the eligibility calculator online are a little irrelevant (For example I do not live with parents). If I received the full maintenance loan I would like to drop a couple of work days to enable me to dedicate more time on studies. If I did not receive the full amount I'd likely have to apply for part time instead. Thanks for any advice! (I am a low earner, £21,800 and single)
Hi Isaac,

Thanks very much for your help. I've heard that the OU issue a "Milestone" certificate, should you ring up and ask for it, once I come to the end of this current module. However I have no plans on applying for this. My preference would be to start Birkbeck full time, but again this might depend on the response of student finance! I'm 43 so my responses to the eligibility calculator online are a little irrelevant (For example I do not live with parents). If I received the full maintenance loan I would like to drop a couple of work days to enable me to dedicate more time on studies. If I did not receive the full amount I'd likely have to apply for part time instead. Thanks for any advice! (I am a low earner, £21,800 and single)

If you have had no other previous higher education study other than what you mentioned above and if you receive no qualification from the Open University then you should be fully entitled to study full time at birkbeck as you won't have any previous study affecting your eligibility.

Your earned income won't affect the application, we will ask for your partner/spouses income unless you are single.
Thanks, Isaac
Thanks so much for your advice Isaac! Yes, the two modules with the OU is my only other previous (highest) education. I don't hold any other qualifications other than a handful of GCSE's some twenty odd years ago. It's great to know, I had assumed I wouldn't be able to get the loan so wasn't going to apply! Is it possible I'd get the highest maintenance loan do you think? I'd be living outside of London travelling into London - four evenings a week should my application be successful. Thanks again.
Thanks so much for your advice Isaac! Yes, the two modules with the OU is my only other previous (highest) education. I don't hold any other qualifications other than a handful of GCSE's some twenty odd years ago. It's great to know, I had assumed I wouldn't be able to get the loan so wasn't going to apply! Is it possible I'd get the highest maintenance loan do you think? I'd be living outside of London travelling into London - four evenings a week should my application be successful. Thanks again.

If you study full time, non distance learning then you will be able to apply for a Maintenance Loan which depends on your marital status. If you are single you will receive the maximum unless your employer pays you a salary to attend the course.
Thanks, Isaac
Many thanks!

Out of interest, can you please confirm, if my previous part time study does not have an impact on my intention to start full time at a brick uni (I will not obtain a qualification), do I then have the freedom to change subject if I wanted to? Or would I have to stick to the same subject?

Would I apply as a continuing student or new?

Finally, the course I intend to apply for is titled “psychology with accelerated foundation year (BSc) 4-year, full time. But, upon successful completion of the foundation year pupils can jump straight onto year two (meaning only three years of funding). I am definitely likely to receive funding for this?
Thanks in advance.
I need help can I apply while I have presettle status scheme and also I don’t have any qualification.So what are the requirements that they should need me?
Rashiidka, you might be better off creating a brand new thread with your query so the SFE rep will answer only in your thread, as you’ll likely have follow up questions! Hope you get all the info you need! X
Many thanks!

Out of interest, can you please confirm, if my previous part time study does not have an impact on my intention to start full time at a brick uni (I will not obtain a qualification), do I then have the freedom to change subject if I wanted to? Or would I have to stick to the same subject?

Finally, the course I intend to apply for is titled “psychology with accelerated foundation year (BSc) 4-year, full time. But, upon successful completion of the foundation year pupils can jump straight onto year two (meaning only three years of funding). I am definitely likely to receive funding for this?
Thanks in advance.

Hi, Sorry, just wanted to make sure this didn't get lost. Many thanks! Mainly I'm now not sure whether I should be applying for new or continuing, as my course title will be the same but at a new university, from the beginning!
Many thanks!

Thanks in advance.

You will be classed as a new student for your new full time course.

do I then have the freedom to change subject if I wanted to? Or would I have to stick to the same subject?
Can you explain further or provide an example?

Original post by Rashiidka
I need help can I apply while I have presettle status scheme and also I don’t have any qualification.So what are the requirements that they should need me?

Hi there, you can apply for the Tuition Fee Loan only by completing the EU21N form https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/studying-full-time-in-england-and-only-qualify-for-support-with-tuition-fees/2021-to-2022/no if you have pre settled status
Hi, Sorry, just wanted to make sure this didn't get lost. Many thanks! Mainly I'm now not sure whether I should be applying for new or continuing, as my course title will be the same but at a new university, from the beginning!

You will be classed as a new applicant.
Thanks, Isaac
Thanks very much Isaac.

For example, I studied psychology BSc with the open university part time, and plan to carry on psychology at Birkbeck. However, I was wondering if I could change qualification entirely, just out of interest. Could I chose to study Biomedicine BSc or English Literature, for example. Thanks again.
Thanks very much Isaac.

For example, I studied psychology BSc with the open university part time, and plan to carry on psychology at Birkbeck. However, I was wondering if I could change qualification entirely, just out of interest. Could I chose to study Biomedicine BSc or English Literature, for example. Thanks again.

Good morning,

So if you are on a full time course at Birkbeck that includes a foundation year, 4 years in total.

The calculation we use for full time courses is:

length of course + 1 additional year - previous study = entitlement

As you have had no previous full time study and you won't be gaining a qualification from your part time studies, your previous study will be 0.
Your calculation will therefore be 4+1-0=5 years of funding.

If you leave your full time course after 1 year to study a different course then you will have 1 year of previous full time study.
If you go and study a 3 year course then your calculation will be 3+1-1=3 years of funding , so you will still be fully funded if you change courses.
Thanks, Isaac
Thanks Isaac.

I have just completed and submitted my student finance application. I clicked that I'd like to apply for the highest amount of maintenance loan, which will be based on my earnings (I'm pretty sure it said). However, it did not ask me for my earnings! Do you think I have done soething wrong and need to contact SFE by phone? I have previously uploaded my P60 for my daughter's application, do you think the system knows they already have this document and that's why it hasn't prompted me? Shall I just sit back and wait? Many thanks.
Thanks Isaac.

I have just completed and submitted my student finance application. I clicked that I'd like to apply for the highest amount of maintenance loan, which will be based on my earnings (I'm pretty sure it said). However, it did not ask me for my earnings! Do you think I have done soething wrong and need to contact SFE by phone? I have previously uploaded my P60 for my daughter's application, do you think the system knows they already have this document and that's why it hasn't prompted me? Shall I just sit back and wait? Many thanks.

We don't require the students earned income. If you are over 25 and single then you will be automatically assessed for the higher amount as long as your employer does not release you to study (pays you a salary to go to university).
Thanks, Isaac
Thank you for all your help.
Thank you for all your help.

You're welcome, glad to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending