The Student Room Group

I’m not too sure what to wear to a fancy dinner with my self consciousness

Every year my co workers and boss go to a fancy restaurant for christmas ( I know it’s a while away but i’m seriously over thinking this) and they obviously have to dress nice. It’s my first year with the company (it’s a family business so they’re all quite close) and I’ve never been to one of these dinners before but I am good friends with all of them so I don’t worry about them judging me too much. I can’t figure out what to wear seeing as my usual attire is a black hoodie and black leggings because i get so so self conscious in LITERALLY anything else. Is there any way to style the hoodie to make it look even just presentable? Or even any hoodies that I could buy that are smarter? I was thinking maybe a blouse/ collared shirt underneath the hoodie but i’m not too sure if that looks too lazy or not.
Sorry this question is worded funny, I just needed to get all the details in there and any help would be so so greatly appreciated thank you and i love you (say it back)

Scroll to see replies

Please don't wear a hoodie! That's absolutely the last thing you want to do!
I would absolutely recommend getting a dress if possible, just a cheap one online will work, or a second hand one from a family member. Or try going for a smart top and jeans, or a suit.

Just please, not a hoodie!
Original post by likefish88
Every year my co workers and boss go to a fancy restaurant for christmas ( I know it’s a while away but i’m seriously over thinking this) and they obviously have to dress nice. It’s my first year with the company (it’s a family business so they’re all quite close) and I’ve never been to one of these dinners before but I am good friends with all of them so I don’t worry about them judging me too much. I can’t figure out what to wear seeing as my usual attire is a black hoodie and black leggings because i get so so self conscious in LITERALLY anything else. Is there any way to style the hoodie to make it look even just presentable? Or even any hoodies that I could buy that are smarter? I was thinking maybe a blouse/ collared shirt underneath the hoodie but i’m not too sure if that looks too lazy or not.
Sorry this question is worded funny, I just needed to get all the details in there and any help would be so so greatly appreciated thank you and i love you (say it back)

It would be the height of bad manners to go to a nice restaurant dressed as if you've just been dragged off the streets. Surely you can see that?

Have some respect for your colleagues and boss and make an effort to dress appropriately.
Maybe you’re feeling self conscious because the clothes you’re expected to wear are tight-fitting or show more skin than you’re comfortable with.

You could try wearing something more modest or loose-fitting in that case.

I’m sure you’ll look great either way! (And yes I love you too)

Don’t wear a hoodie, you’ll probably get looks that will make you feel more uncomfortable.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by chocolate_fan
Please don't wear a hoodie! That's absolutely the last thing you want to do!
I would absolutely recommend getting a dress if possible, just a cheap one online will work, or a second hand one from a family member. Or try going for a smart top and jeans, or a suit.

Just please, not a hoodie!

That’s the problem, I am so so self conscious and can’t wear anything other than a hoodie i’ve tried for ages 😭
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
It would be the height of bad manners to go to a nice restaurant dressed as if you've just been dragged off the streets. Surely you can see that?

Have some respect for your colleagues and boss and make an effort to dress appropriately.

I see that, and it’s why I’m asking here for advice. I know hoodies are casual wear and look a bit trampy but I have horrible anxiety and haven’t wore anything other than a hoodie in over 6 years.
Wear a suit and tie your hair back. You'll feel more confident. Sip wine with your pinky out and call the food 'shallow and pedantic'.
Reply 7
Why are you so self conscious?
Reply 8
Original post by Scotney
Why are you so self conscious?

I just really don’t like my body so it’s hard to wear anything other than a hoodie. Not even different coloured hoodies either like just a plain black hoodie 😭😭
I see that, and it’s why I’m asking here for advice. I know hoodies are casual wear and look a bit trampy but I have horrible anxiety and haven’t wore anything other than a hoodie in over 6 years.

What is it about the hoodie that makes you feel 'safe' then. Maybe if we could explore that, then we could find something similar, but more appropriate for the venue, which you could wear instead :smile:
That’s the problem, I am so so self conscious and can’t wear anything other than a hoodie i’ve tried for ages 😭

I completely get that you're self conscious. It doesn't mean that you have to wear anything short or too much skin revealing.
You can wear a suit? Or dark jeans and a smart top? Nothing that has to be too revealing. But do try to out a bit of effort into what you're wearing. It is only one dinner after all.
Reply 11
I like that it’s baggy with sleeves so I could probably go with a women’s shirt but I’d definitely have to go try some one first just wanted to know if anyone had any smart alternatives.
Reply 12
Thank you for the help. I will try and find a smart shirt or top to wear and then possibly jeans or black jeggings but i’m still quite nervous so I’d have to get myself used to them again.
I like that it’s baggy with sleeves so I could probably go with a women’s shirt but I’d definitely have to go try some one first just wanted to know if anyone had any smart alternatives.

Are you over or under weight?
how about a nice loose blouse with wide legged pants? i think that would do well for any occasion and it’s comfortable. i think you should go out of your comfort zone to find something that suits you and also makes you feel good. if you’re really self conscious, as i am, i find wearing a neutral coloured cardigan helps as i’m comfy and can also cover myself if I’m feeling really insecure but just own it!!
Reply 15
over tbh
I really feel you on this. I'm worrying about what I'll wear to formals and everything at university because I hate anything other than black jeans on myself.

You can stick with the all-black perhaps. I used to have an all-black suit (tie and all) that I liked quite a bit.

Also, it may be good to seek real help looking to the future :smile:

My sister had a large button up knitted cardigan that she wears to work at offices at an investment bank in London so its very smart. Maybe somehting like a thick black cardigan over a dress or trousers and a blouse.
(edited 2 years ago)
A smart suit jacket will hide a multitude of sins and some nice accessories will help you achieve a dressed up look. Go and try some stuff on at the shops or order it online and try it at home.Fashion and clothes are just a bit of fun really so try and enjoy getting dressed up for a change.
Reply 19
Original post by ashtolga23
I really feel you on this. I'm worrying about what I'll wear to formals and everything at university because I hate anything other than black jeans on myself.

You can stick with the all-black perhaps. I used to have an all-black suit (tie and all) that I liked quite a bit.

Also, it may be good to seek real help looking to the future :smile:

Thank you for the reply :smile: I think I may go with white top black jeggings or jeans but i will update in a few months when it gets closer to the time.

I have started to ask for help like signing up for therapy and I also got some propranolol from my doctors but I hope you also reach out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending