The Student Room Group

Issue with IELTS. Help please!

Hi Guys, admission department contacted me saying they could not complete my entry to the university (after passed the audition) as I didn’t prove evidence of my IELTS results (this was in my condition offer on the UCAS website, and the university has just asked me now to provide it). My issue is I have never done it as my course leader told me it was irrelevant as I have already demonstrate to him my English abilities in speaking and understanding (the score required is an overall of 6 and no less than 5.5 in each band) In addition, I have never added on my application I completed or I was in pending to complete the IELTS test, so basically they should have rejected my application in the first place. Someone could tell me if my entry could be compromise or if someone had a similar problem? Thank you
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SabrinaP94
Hi Guys, admission department contacted me saying they could not complete my entry to the university (after passed the audition) as I didn’t prove evidence of my IELTS results (this was in my condition offer on the UCAS website, and the university has just asked me now to provide it). My issue is I have never done it as my course leader told me it was irrelevant as I have already demonstrate to him my English abilities in speaking and understanding (the score required is an overall of 6 and no less than 5.5 in each band) In addition, I have never added on my application I completed or I was in pending to complete the IELTS test, so basically they should have rejected my application in the first place. Someone could tell me if my entry could be compromise or if someone had a similar problem? Thank you

When you are given a conditional offer, your place requires you to meet all of the conditions of that offer. If you fail to do so then the university will not accept you. The university expects you to meet those conditions, and IELTS is a fairly standard requirement for overseas applicants. This is so that the university has confirmation you are going to be able to comprehend the information in the course and communicate at the required level. Whether or not the applicant, or their teachers/parents/friends feel that this is necessary is unfortunately irrelevant as it is a requirement of the university.

Your teacher was totally incorrect to advise you that you did not need to take IELTS when it was part of your offer - personally, I would be putting in a complaint as that is incredibly poor advice and has cost you your university place.

Unfortunately, the university has absolutely no obligation to make any exceptions for you. You could contact them and explain the poor advice of your teacher, and see if they would be willing to allow you to take it later. Otherwise I'm afraid your only option would be to reapply, or look at other universities through Clearing and negotiate with them to see if they would accept your IELTS at a later date.

Charlotte's Web is right. You have to fulfill ALL of the conditions, otherwise they wouldn't have stated them. Is there no way you could do the test now? Contact the uni and ask if they will extend the deadline for the test, but I highly doubt that they will let you on without it. You'd also need to do the IELTS test that is linked to the student visa application, so don't do the wrong one!
P.S if you communicate by email, get someone to check over your message before hitting the "send" button. Grammatical errors and spelling mistakes won't win them over!
(edited 2 years ago)

As advised above, your offer was based on the condition that you could provide your IELTS results, given that you cannot admissions have the right to not continue with your entry.
For reference, universities will ask for entry and language requirements, we ask that if English is not your first language you should have at least one of the following qualifications (or equivalent) linked here as a minimum. As advised above, it might be worth reaching to the university and explaining but it is likely that their original decision will stand. In the meantime, when applying be sure that you do meet the entry criteria to avoid this happening again. Applying for your IELTS will speed up your application in the future.

Your course leader is an idiot who has almost certainly scuppered your chances of going to uni this year. I would consider a formal complaint but that won’t resolve your immediate issue.

It’s perfectly normal for an international student to not list pending English tests, so the uni did the right thing to include this in your conditions. You should have confirmed directly with them whether your previous learning/qualifications were acceptable rather than relying on your course leaders faulty advice.

What is the deadline for meeting your offer conditions and would the uni accept an online TOEFL or DuoLingo test if you could complete one in time?
Reply 5
Thank you so much for your reply. I didn’t specify in the previous post I have lived in UK for 4 years and I have got the pre settled status for working and studying here in UK.
Thank you so much for your reply. I didn’t specify in the previous post I have lived in UK for 4 years and I have got the pre settled status for working and studying here in UK.

Have you sent them through your pre-settled status information and code so they can verify that?
If they aren't sponsoring your visa then they might have more flexibility over english language requirements - it's worth talking to them and asking if they'll accept any alternatives.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Have you sent them through your pre-settled status information and code so they can verify that?
If they aren't sponsoring your visa then they might have more flexibility over english language requirements - it's worth talking to them and asking if they'll accept any alternatives.

Thank you for your reply. At the moment, I have already explained to them my situation as well as gave them the copy of my diploma, so basically,I am just waiting their response. To be honest,I have no problem to prepare the IELTS test but just hope the university could give me a little bit more time to achieve it. I really don’t want to wait an year for this misunderstanding 😖 It is a good idea to give them proof of my pre settled status too 😊
To add to the advice already given here, it's also worth asking the university if there are any alternatives that you can use to demonstrate your English Language capabilities if you have not already done so - providing evidence of written/spoken work, alternatives to IELTS that you may already hold etc. Many universities accept IELTS or an equivalent qualification, depending on the course applied for.

As a final option, your university may offer a pre-sessional English course that you can take to negate the requirement for IELTS. Unfortunately this usually costs extra - and may require you being able to attend the university early to undertake the pre-sessional programme - but it might be an option that would allow you to take up your place this year.

Amy Louise :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending