The Student Room Group

I was fired from sainsburys when I was 16 can I still work there

Well now I am older and going of to university I’m looking for jobs in my city . I saw a job for sainsburys but I remember I was fired from there at 16 can I still work there? I was fired because I had two warnings one for failing my think 25 test second reason because I left work early. I have an interview but don’t know if I should bother going
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
How did you get fired from sainsburys lol
whats a think 25 seconds?
Reply 2
Original post by Slx.24

Lol I failed my think 25 test and received a warning and then second one was because I left work early
Original post by Slx.24

Two reasons:

first she sold alcohol without IDing someone, then she left work early.
Reply 4
Aiyyaa that's deep 😂
only 2 warnings though kinda harsh for a new 16 year old huh
Leaving work early was your fault still 😆
Reply 5
Yes, it was my fault but they were very harsh. Plus i only left 4 minutes early and it’s because I wanted to go toilet. I was young and it was my first job
Reply 6
Original post by Slx.24
Aiyyaa that's deep 😂
only 2 warnings though kinda harsh for a new 16 year old huh
Leaving work early was your fault still 😆

Do you have an answer though please? Don’t want to waste time going to an interview
Original post by Amyooa
Yes, it was my fault but they were very harsh. Plus i only left 4 minutes early and it’s because I wanted to go toilet. I was young and it was my first job

You could always apply the worst they can do is reject you if you get an interview and they ask why you left last time and how you would change things just mention that you are older and more organised now and that you have turned it in to a learning experience. (Interviewers love it when people have learnt from mistakes they have made int the past.)
Reply 8
Original post by Amyooa
Well now I am older and going of to university I’m looking for jobs in my city . I saw a job for sainsburys but I remember I was fired from there at 16 can I still work there? I was fired because I had two warnings one for failing my think 25 test second reason because I left work early. I have an interview but don’t know if I should bother going

officially the answer is bound to be a "no"

but if you've made it this far they havent clocked you worked there before and were fired there then for gawds sake don't aware them to it, as they will surely not take you on
Original post by Amyooa

You won't know outcome unless you apply for the job.

If reason you were sacked was serious enough then they shouldn't rehire you but to be sacked for few minutes is Ott, plus you wouldn't be first person not to ID anybody for alcohol as generally that's a good talking to about it.
You are allowed time to get washed etc at end of your shift
Reply 10
Original post by Amyooa
Do you have an answer though please? Don’t want to waste time going to an interview

Sorry I'm not too clued on to this one
Reply 11
Original post by Tracey_W
You won't know outcome unless you apply for the job.

If reason you were sacked was serious enough then they shouldn't rehire you but to be sacked for few minutes is Ott, plus you wouldn't be first person not to ID anybody for alcohol as generally that's a good talking to about it.
You are allowed time to get washed etc at end of your shift

To be honest getting fired for those two things was very ott looking back at it can’t believe it . But thank you I’ll try
Reply 12
Original post by ANM775
officially the answer is bound to be a "no"

but if you've made it this far they havent clocked you worked there before and were fired there then for gawds sake don't aware them to it, as they will surely not take you on

They will definitely ask me why I left though . Don’t want to lie lol
Reply 13
Original post by jonathanemptage
You could always apply the worst they can do is reject you if you get an interview and they ask why you left last time and how you would change things just mention that you are older and more organised now and that you have turned it in to a learning experience. (Interviewers love it when people have learnt from mistakes they have made int the past.)

Thanks for your help
Original post by Amyooa
To be honest getting fired for those two things was very ott looking back at it can’t believe it . But thank you I’ll try

Yeah soon as they input your details they should automatically see you were previously employed by them. So agree with you not to tell lies. They may possibly take you on again as it to me minor issues badly handled.

Yeah I don't see why they sacked you for tiny matters that should had been a talking to and next time it happens you get discipline and a written warning.

I can't mind how many times I didn't ID anybody for alcohol as I should have because they looked under the age but I decided they were ok and I didn't get punished. ( I work with another big supermarket ).

Just see what happens when you apply ok.
Reply 15
Original post by Tracey_W
Yeah soon as they input your details they should automatically see you were previously employed by them. So agree with you not to tell lies. They may possibly take you on again as it to me minor issues badly handled.

Yeah I don't see why they sacked you for tiny matters that should had been a talking to and next time it happens you get discipline and a written warning.

I can't mind how many times I didn't ID anybody for alcohol as I should have because they looked under the age but I decided they were ok and I didn't get punished. ( I work with another big supermarket ).

Just see what happens when you apply ok.

Alright thank you so much!
Reply 16
Original post by Amyooa
They will definitely ask me why I left though . Don’t want to lie lol

If you've put on your CV you worked for sainsburys before and they ask why you left and you say you got the sack, you can KISS that job goodbye.

Why are they going to hire someone with a proven track record of being incompetent when they can just find another person with a snap of a finger?!
Imagine they had to sack you again, and then your managers manager asked him why did he re-hire someone who already got sacked, and gives him a right rollecking. do you think he's going to hire you and put himself in a position where that could happen?

no he's not

Make something up. Learn to blag it..

"at the time i had a lot of stress in my life and felt I couldn't fulfil the commitments of the job to my best ability.... this is why i decided to leave. however things have resolved now and i feel fully able to do a good job"

then if they find out you worked there you could damage control somewhat and say yeah ... i was making one or two mistakes with ID-ing customers because i wasn't concentrating due to stress, after discussing it with managers we mutually agreed it was for the best i went
(it is extremely unlikely they are going to contact the person who sacked you from 5 years ago so this is a safe lie)

seriously dude work on your blagging skills. almost every job i've ever had i've blagged my way into.
I could probably write a best seller....

I'm running on borrowed time in this current job i'm working at atm.
can't believe they haven't sacked me yet as i'm not hitting targets at all...

if this was a computer game my evasion skills would be like maxed out lmao

currently am taking the day off tomorrow as a strategic decision as i know i'm going to get moaned at for some tasks not finished, but if i skip tomorrow and come in on monday there's a good chance it will have blown over..
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
did they call you before or tell you in person that you were fired
I don't know i think as you're a little older and can show you learned form it (and can pass the think 25 test now) I think you might be okay. But if you do get the job make sure you only leave early after clearing it with a manager.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending