The Student Room Group

Laser eye surgery

Heyy so I have really bad eyesight (my prescription is -8!) and that means I have to wear massively thick glasses.
I don't like glasses, but either way, should I have laser eye surgery? If I do then would it be permanent? If anyone could help then I'd really appreciate it xx
It could make a big difference but, as you age and long sightedness kicks in, you may still need glasses again.
Your other options are
- high refractive index glass to give thinner lenses
- contact lenses

I used to be -8 in 1 eye which is why I opted for contacts but I always have glasses for backup and they have high RI glass. As I have got older my eyes have got better and I am only -6.25 in the eye that was -8 now.
Reply 2
Original post by ReadingMum
It could make a big difference but, as you age and long sightedness kicks in, you may still need glasses again.
Your other options are
- high refractive index glass to give thinner lenses
- contact lenses

I used to be -8 in 1 eye which is why I opted for contacts but I always have glasses for backup and they have high RI glass. As I have got older my eyes have got better and I am only -6.25 in the eye that was -8 now.

would you recommend wearing contacts every day or would that be worse for my eyes?
Contacts that have been properly fitted should not be a problem. I have been wearing them for 35 years now.
Reply 4
I agree, try contacts first. I find contacts to be a good option.

Quick Reply

Latest