The Student Room Group

Ulster Uni GEM 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoffeinthebRn332
Out of curiosity was your GAMSAT less than 60?

I got 60.
This is quite confusing, especially for those who I would have thought would have got an interview no problem (I was more unsure for myself as my GAMSAT overall is 57 (54/59/57)) but I’m so surprised they’ve rejected people with GAMSATs around 60 because I really would have thought that was a safe score for Ulster?
I’m sure there’s an explanation (or hopefully a mess up on their side?😬) and hopefully we’ll get some answers when they get back to people’s emails. In the mean time, keeping my fingers crossed everyone🥺🤞🏽

Massive congrats and good luck to everyone that got an interview, proud of you, and I’m sure you’re over the moon too😁🎉 go and smash it!
(edited 2 years ago)
I was offered an interview.

I’m from England, but I wouldn’t be surprised if UoU have introduced a system to have a lower GAMSAT cut-off score for Northern Irish applicants. The course website does emphasise that one of the goals is for the uni to produce Drs for NI and rural areas in particular.

My stats:
2:1 integrated MEng in Medical Engineering

GAMSAT: 66/60/63 - 63 overall regardless of whether s3 is given double or single weighting.

A levels: BBB in Maths, Physics, Economics.
Reply 83
Rejection with 61 GAMSAT, 1st class biomed and distinction masters in biosciences. Quite surprised at this given the other applicants on here who received interviews 😕 good luck everyone who got them, however
Hi guys, I think NI residents likely have preference for shortlisting? I'm from NI and got an interview with 59, I have a 1st in my nursing degree and a PhD.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ocelotmgs
I was offered an interview.

I’m from England, but I wouldn’t be surprised if UoU have introduced a system to have a lower GAMSAT cut-off score for Northern Irish applicants. The course website does emphasise that one of the goals is for the uni to produce Drs for NI and rural areas in particular.

My stats:
2:1 integrated MEng in Medical Engineering

GAMSAT: 66/60/63 - 63 overall regardless of whether s3 is given double or single weighting.

A levels: BBB in Maths, Physics, Economics.

This is a great score, how did you revise for s3?
I put a lot of time into S3. I hadn’t done biology since double award GCSE in 2009. My last experience of chemistry was my failed AS level in 2010.

My physics had stayed stayed sharp because of my engineering degree and career, but the exam is only ~20% physics. The thing about engineering is that the university theory exams are gruelling and problem solving/ graph reading/ numeracy based questions which transfer well to GAMSAT S3. My problem was my baseline knowledge, not the problem solving skills I think many candidates struggle with

Try to maximise marks with good exam technique. In the exam, work on the questions you’re comfortable with, skip the ones you don’t know. Guess every answer you don’t know. Don’t panic in the exam, it is a odd exam because a 50% raw score could give a good final score

I slammed all the theory with the Khan Academy college level courses. I chose which modules to cover using the unofficial GAMSAT s3 syllabus in the Griffiths Review.

I did all of the official ACER questions at least twice, first time to identify my weaknesses and areas to focus on. Second time to recap, check knowledge and build confidence. You can find worked answers to all the S3 practice questions on YouTube which helps. I also did a few of the Des O’Neil questions, but no more than an evening or two.

It was about 3 months of revision, but I didn’t really focus until there was 7 weeks to go. At the point of 7 weeks to go, I took a week off work and had 9 uninterrupted days (week+2xweekends) to really nail it down.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 87
Has anyone not heard anything?
Original post by Ocelotmgs
I put a lot of time into S3. I hadn’t done biology since double award GCSE in 2009. My last experience of chemistry was my failed AS level in 2010.

My physics had stayed stayed sharp because of my engineering degree and career, but the exam is only ~20% physics. The thing about engineering is that the university theory exams are gruelling and problem solving/ graph reading/ numeracy based questions which transfer well to GAMSAT S3. My problem was my baseline knowledge, not the problem solving skills I think many candidates struggle with

Try to maximise marks with good exam technique. In the exam, work on the questions you’re comfortable with, skip the ones you don’t know. Guess every answer you don’t know. Don’t panic in the exam, it is a odd exam because a 50% raw score could give a good final score

I slammed all the theory with the Khan Academy college level courses. I chose which modules to cover using the unofficial GAMSAT s3 syllabus in the Griffiths Review.

I did all of the official ACER questions at least twice, first time to identify my weaknesses and areas to focus on. Second time to recap, check knowledge and build confidence. You can find worked answers to all the S3 practice questions on YouTube which helps. I also did a few of the Des O’Neil questions, but no more than an evening or two.

It was about 3 months of revision, but I didn’t really focus until there was 7 weeks to go. At the point of 7 weeks to go, I took a week off work and had 9 uninterrupted days (week+2xweekends) to really nail it down.

Thanks for that just doing research into this process
Thanks for that just doing research into this process

If you have the money I found gradmed really good, esspecially for s3. I got 63/58//68 and they were amazing for the science section

I have a 2:1 in genetics and A*BC at a level but I’m a English grad and was offered a interview with a gamsat of 64 overall. It does seem like the cutoff for English grads is higher overall this year
Reply 90
I got an interview and have 62 in gamsat (62,65,60) plus 2.1 biomed. Currently working in England so applied with that address but am an NI student but they don’t know that
Original post by Rara1455
If you have the money I found gradmed really good, esspecially for s3. I got 63/58//68 and they were amazing for the science section

I have a 2:1 in genetics and A*BC at a level but I’m a English grad and was offered a interview with a gamsat of 64 overall. It does seem like the cutoff for English grads is higher overall this year

I’ll look into it, congratulations with your score absolute beast of an exam.
I’ll look into it, congratulations with your score absolute beast of an exam.

Beast of an exam is exactly what it is. Honestly, s3 killed me. I'm super academic but still struggled. I sat in 2014 and failed, then again March 2021, marginal fail of s3 and finally my Sept 2021 I got 62/77/50. I had covid so had to sit remotely, so I'm shocked I finally passed and got an interview.
Original post by Isfadel
Rejection with 61 GAMSAT, 1st class biomed and distinction masters in biosciences. Quite surprised at this given the other applicants on here who received interviews 😕 good luck everyone who got them, however

Hi there, just wondering, did you actually get a rejection email? Or just didn’t receive an invite? Did you email them to inquire?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by medicphd
Do we know for sure that Ulster only take degrees and GAMSAT into consideration?

I only say that because some unis like KCL are holistic so they don't set cut-off's, they look at each applicant individually.

When you say holistically, does that mean they have also already read the personal statements and reference yes? Thanks!
Original post by Gradmedicine2022
When you say holistically, does that mean they have also already read the personal statements and reference yes? Thanks!

Depends on the uni, but generally yes. They would look at each applicant individually rather than setting cut-off’s for exams like UCAT or GAMSAT.
Original post by medicphd
Depends on the uni, but generally yes. They would look at each applicant individually rather than setting cut-off’s for exams like UCAT or GAMSAT.

Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by Gradmedicine2022
Hi there, just wondering, did you actually get a rejection email? Or just didn’t receive an invite? Did you email them to inquire?

Hi sorry for the late reply work has been very busy. I received a ucas update that I had been rejected. I aim to email to query this with the university
Has anyone who emailed received a response regarding feedback yet?
Reply 99
Original post by Char.cross.
Has anyone who emailed received a response regarding feedback yet?

nope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending