The Student Room Group

Will I get funding to study speech and language therapy if I quit nursing degree?

I am a third year student nurse studying for a MSc in adult and mental health nursing. I am really hating all placements so far and know that I do not want to be a nurse.

I have applied to study Speech and Language Therapy as it has always been something I’ve been interested in and I really feel I made a mistake when I chose to study nursing. A few months after my course started the pandemic began and it didn’t seem like a good idea to quit as I had no full time work so I decided to stick with it. I’m so unhappy now and it’s effecting my mental health, I’ve dropped out my current placement. I know I should “stick with it” and complete the course but with 26 weeks of placement this year I don’t think I can.

I wanted to know if I get into the speech and language therapy course will I receive a student loan still? I have already completed a 3 year degree in textiles 10 years ago funded by student loans. Any information anyone can give me regarding this will be really appreciated.
Original post by PinkAsh
I am a third year student nurse studying for a MSc in adult and mental health nursing. I am really hating all placements so far and know that I do not want to be a nurse.

I have applied to study Speech and Language Therapy as it has always been something I’ve been interested in and I really feel I made a mistake when I chose to study nursing. A few months after my course started the pandemic began and it didn’t seem like a good idea to quit as I had no full time work so I decided to stick with it. I’m so unhappy now and it’s effecting my mental health, I’ve dropped out my current placement. I know I should “stick with it” and complete the course but with 26 weeks of placement this year I don’t think I can.

I wanted to know if I get into the speech and language therapy course will I receive a student loan still? I have already completed a 3 year degree in textiles 10 years ago funded by student loans. Any information anyone can give me regarding this will be really appreciated.

Hi, your previous study will not affect your eligibility to receive funding for the speech and language therapy course, as long as you are not already professionally registered in this field.

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending