The Student Room Group

Resignation & Notice Period Problems

I have a part time job at Marks and Spencer. I hate it and I am thinking about quitting. My friend left last Saturday but she handed in her notice the week before on the Friday saying her last day of employment would be the Friday after however 15mins before her last shift ended they said „If you don’t work tomorrow you will be put on the do not rehire list and won’t be eligible for a refrence“. M&S finish their week on a Saturday that’s why I think they wanted her to work then but is that legal to basically threaten someone to work past their notice period even for just a day?

I am thinking about handing my notice in tomorrow (A Friday) would it be legal for them to force me to work the Saturday?
Reply 1
What does your contract or company handbook say?
Original post by Surnia
What does your contract or company handbook say?

The thing is I don’t actually know how to access my contract but on a document on the website it says „all M&S employees work for the company on a voluntary basis, and not under threat of any penalty or sanctions. This includes respecting the right of employees to terminate their employment after a reasonable notice period“

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending