The Student Room Group

A secret plan B...of moving to UK...from Hong Kong.

Hi there everyone! I'm a secondary 4 student comes from Hong Kong, and I've always wondering about living in uk for some political reasons, that I see no hope for Hong Kong's future. Why I call it "the secret plan B" is because, I haven't told to my parents yet. You know studying in UK as an international student costs a lot, my family may not be able to support it so far. And dad always tells me not thinking too much but just study.
Since I was little, I found very interested in archaeology stuffs. However there isn't any degree coarse about it available in HK, and the same situation comes to finding jobs. I know UK is always a cool place for archaeology and history and there are so many uni providing different programmes. But here is also a problem with the jobs, that usually foreigners can hardly find a stable job related to archaeology and the salaries are quite low and cannot satisfy the requirement of working visa application.
Then I start to look for architecture, which is also an interest to me that I found the ancient buildings fascinating and I am always addicted to both outdoor and indoor designs. I study the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education(HKDSE) coarse, picking Biology, Visual Arts and Extended Mathematics Module 2 as electives, which is kinda similar to Further Math I think. And actually I also study Chemistry but I have decided to drop it at the end of the year as most of the uni consider 3 electives, so chem as my weakest subject becomes useless.
I call it "plan B", as I cannot make sure if I can really go to UK. The uni application system in HK is called JUPAS, which is almost the same as UCAS in UK. I know as a HK student I can apply both of the two systems at the same time, so I'll definitely apply for a number of local uni in case I cannot go to UK.(wait then this one should be called as plan B...hmm idk)
I've done some investigations on UK uni. The one favours me the most is Cambridge of course, but still it sounds kinda impossible to me... Also checked UCL, BATH, MSA, Sheffield, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Loughborough. All of them are just wonderful, comparing to HK. Thanks goodness the English level in DSE is approved by many of the UK uni, which means I don't have to take an English language test like IELTS. It does help a lot that the I don't need to prepare for another test while struggling our local DSE.
So I want to seek for you the locals' advices about my plan. Of cuz I'll discuss with my family and teachers but first I should do some research and catch up my study in order to reach the lowest standard. If it is feasible to study architecture and live in UK later, I'll try my best to improve my grades and then start handling with the profolio and preparing for interviews maybe next year. About the fees, to be honest I don't really worry about this. There is an art competition here in HK and the winners can apply for sponsors for tuition fees. A student in my school won the scholarship last year, and he is studying art in a local uni for FREE! Therefore I think it won't be a big problem and my family isn't that poor. We've still saved two another houses apart from the one we are living now. And my parents said they will sell one and keep the previous one for renting if I need. They had once planned going back to our hometown living with grandma and my little sister in mainland China. She will be in high school fighting with Gaokao(the diploma exam in China) while I am studying in uni.
The text is too long I know. Thx for ur reading and all the opinions!
Architecture seems a safer bet than Archeology when looking for jobs after finishing your degree. You may want to check out entry requirements for some of the unis you listed (Loughborough, Sheffield etc). Although most will accept pretty much any 3 A levels, many require a portfolio of your work to be presented at interview e.g. Sheffield or require you to have taken a design/art subject.
Reply 2
Original post by mike23mike
Architecture seems a safer bet than Archeology when looking for jobs after finishing your degree. You may want to check out entry requirements for some of the unis you listed (Loughborough, Sheffield etc). Although most will accept pretty much any 3 A levels, many require a portfolio of your work to be presented at interview e.g. Sheffield or require you to have taken a design/art subject.

Thx! Then that's a load off my mind. I've checked for the requirements of DSE results. They are A LOT LOWER then the local's! Seems that UK uni require lower grades but focus more on other abilities of students. In Hong Kong I have get better grades for studying archi. I study Visual Arts at school so I think it may be useful as we have to make profolio too. Anyway thank u!
Original post by Sakaogi
Hi there everyone! ...Thx for ur reading and all the opinions!

In the UK, a lot of consulting engineering companies (Arup, AECOM, etc) employ archaeologists as many sites of interest are revealed during the course of building and construction. For example, excavation for the High Speed 2 rail link has revealed this:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-59943179#:~:text=HS2%20archaeologists%20found%20evidence%20of,making%20and%20metal%20work%20occurred.&text=Alongside%20the%20coins%20found%2C%20glass,of%20make%2Dup%20was%20uncovered.

There are also archaeological heritage consultancies that contract out their services to companies for site surveys, etc., so there are opportunities if you do want to pursue a career in this field.

For architecture, the vast majority of degree courses do not specify specific subjects for entry but they will require a creative portfolio as part of the application process. The request for the portfolio can come in within a couple of weeks of submitting your UCAS application. Strathclyde and some Cambridge colleges require maths or physics, and Bath prefers maths and/or physics. UCL is one of the most competitive courses to get on. Other options you might want to consider: Newcastle, Nottingham, Liverpool, Lancaster, Oxford Brookes, etc. There are a lot of good courses out there - just make sure that the course you choose is ARB/RIBA accredited/validated.

You might find this guide for students useful:

https://arb.org.uk/student-information/
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
In the UK, a lot of consulting engineering companies (Arup, AECOM, etc) employ archaeologists as many sites of interest are revealed during the course of building and construction. For example, excavation for the High Speed 2 rail link has revealed this:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-59943179#:~:text=HS2%20archaeologists%20found%20evidence%20of,making%20and%20metal%20work%20occurred.&text=Alongside%20the%20coins%20found%2C%20glass,of%20make%2Dup%20was%20uncovered.

There are also archaeological heritage consultancies that contract out their services to companies for site surveys, etc., so there are opportunities if you do want to pursue a career in this field.

For architecture, the vast majority of degree courses do not specify specific subjects for entry but they will require a creative portfolio as part of the application process. The request for the portfolio can come in within a couple of weeks of submitting your UCAS application. Strathclyde and some Cambridge colleges require maths or physics, and Bath prefers maths and/or physics. UCL is one of the most competitive courses to get on. Other options you might want to consider: Newcastle, Nottingham, Liverpool, Lancaster, Oxford Brookes, etc. There are a lot of good courses out there - just make sure that the course you choose is ARB/RIBA accredited/validated.

You might find this guide for students useful:

https://arb.org.uk/student-information/

I see that's very kind of u. It will be useful and I've learn more about uk unis. They are all good indeed. I'll check for their requirements right away.
Reply 5
Original post by Sakaogi
Hi there everyone! I'm a secondary 4 student comes from Hong Kong, and I've always wondering about living in uk for some political reasons, that I see no hope for Hong Kong's future. Why I call it "the secret plan B" is because, I haven't told to my parents yet. You know studying in UK as an international student costs a lot, my family may not be able to support it so far. And dad always tells me not thinking too much but just study.
Since I was little, I found very interested in archaeology stuffs. However there isn't any degree coarse about it available in HK, and the same situation comes to finding jobs. I know UK is always a cool place for archaeology and history and there are so many uni providing different programmes. But here is also a problem with the jobs, that usually foreigners can hardly find a stable job related to archaeology and the salaries are quite low and cannot satisfy the requirement of working visa application.
Then I start to look for architecture, which is also an interest to me that I found the ancient buildings fascinating and I am always addicted to both outdoor and indoor designs. I study the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education(HKDSE) coarse, picking Biology, Visual Arts and Extended Mathematics Module 2 as electives, which is kinda similar to Further Math I think. And actually I also study Chemistry but I have decided to drop it at the end of the year as most of the uni consider 3 electives, so chem as my weakest subject becomes useless.
I call it "plan B", as I cannot make sure if I can really go to UK. The uni application system in HK is called JUPAS, which is almost the same as UCAS in UK. I know as a HK student I can apply both of the two systems at the same time, so I'll definitely apply for a number of local uni in case I cannot go to UK.(wait then this one should be called as plan B...hmm idk)
I've done some investigations on UK uni. The one favours me the most is Cambridge of course, but still it sounds kinda impossible to me... Also checked UCL, BATH, MSA, Sheffield, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Loughborough. All of them are just wonderful, comparing to HK. Thanks goodness the English level in DSE is approved by many of the UK uni, which means I don't have to take an English language test like IELTS. It does help a lot that the I don't need to prepare for another test while struggling our local DSE.
So I want to seek for you the locals' advices about my plan. Of cuz I'll discuss with my family and teachers but first I should do some research and catch up my study in order to reach the lowest standard. If it is feasible to study architecture and live in UK later, I'll try my best to improve my grades and then start handling with the profolio and preparing for interviews maybe next year. About the fees, to be honest I don't really worry about this. There is an art competition here in HK and the winners can apply for sponsors for tuition fees. A student in my school won the scholarship last year, and he is studying art in a local uni for FREE! Therefore I think it won't be a big problem and my family isn't that poor. We've still saved two another houses apart from the one we are living now. And my parents said they will sell one and keep the previous one for renting if I need. They had once planned going back to our hometown living with grandma and my little sister in mainland China. She will be in high school fighting with Gaokao(the diploma exam in China) while I am studying in uni.
The text is too long I know. Thx for ur reading and all the opinions!

hey!
im applying for architecture now and I think it'll be a really cool opportunity for you to study in the UK :smile:
(i've applied to Loughborough, UAL, Liverpool and Nottingham for reference)
im sure you're already looking for scholarships etc for UK unis, im not too sure how it works as I haven't applied for one but for architecture specifically I know you're going to need a really strong portfolio. So if you're able to have a look on YouTube for past students accepted portfolios per unis in the UK then it'll be really beneficial as you'll get a clearer idea of what the unis like to see.

I know you said you're doing visual arts, so try to include work from that in your portfolio & also try to use lots of different media for other art pieces you produce in your spare time as the interviewers would want to see your creativity and passion over all. (which will probably make it easier to win a scholarship I presume?)

idk if this helped but if you have any other questions about the architecture application lmk!
Original post by hinalllx
... but for architecture specifically I know you're going to need a really strong portfolio. So if you're able to have a look on YouTube for past students accepted portfolios per unis in the UK then it'll be really beneficial as you'll get a clearer idea of what the unis like to see.

There are links to some previous portfolios on this thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7125806
hiya!Im a Hong Kong secondary student who study visual arts too, and I'm heading to art uni in UK! Just a friendly reminder that your schedule is going to be super hectic since you have to prepare for your portfolio as well as your SBA in visual arts and also your studies ( those times were tough when I had to do both while preparing for exams. I literally didn't sleep for days :') ) so I would recommend start filling your portfolio asap.It's ok if they are not perfect. The professors would like to see your thinking process and experiments more than highly skilled works (but of course make sure your works show some level of techniques as well XD) and it would be better to include your portfolio with a wide range of various media and materials!

My friend also applied for architecture and she got offer from MSA .I have heard that the applicants would be given tasks to complete and would have to submit within a short period of time so be prepared and stay determined

I totally understand how you feel towards Hong Kong's current situation...Hope the above would cheer you ups bit!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending