The Student Room Group

Really bad stomach issues

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
You said you aren't fine though - it doesn't affect you immediately.

But after say a lunch or dinner I would be affected immedieately.

Today for instance. I had breakfast around 12, shredded wheat as usual.
I skipped lunch, and had dinner around 7PM. Straight after I have to go to the toilet etc.

For dinner I had salad; potatoes, steak and curried chicken chunks, coleslaw and sausage.
For lunch I usually have sandwiches, with something like salmon. I have granary bread.
Original post by Obolinda
should own brand work?

It can, but the cheaper it is, the less effective it’s likely to be. It’s frustrating, but health and supplements are the latest billion-dollar market.
Original post by Anonymous

I skipped lunch, and had dinner around 7PM. Straight after I have to go to the toilet etc.

For dinner I had salad; potatoes, steak and curried chicken chunks, coleslaw and sausage.
For lunch I usually have sandwiches, with something like salmon. I have granary bread.

If the doctors didn’t do a proper test for coeliac disease, I’d ask for another one. The main difference between gluten being a problem and something else is whether you can have barley. Try having squash with barley and see if you react to it. If not, it might be something else. Also, try changing the bread.

It could actually be oligosaccharides, for example, from the low-FODMAP diet. They’re in wheat, but also things like broccoli, beans, lentils, peas, bananas and other things. It could also be that you can tolerate certain amounts of wheat, and then you react.

Doing some research into this and the different things it could be would be useful when testing different foods for patterns.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by SagaciousSag
If the doctors didn’t do a proper test for coeliac disease, I’d ask for another one. The main difference between gluten being a problem and something else is whether you can have barley. Try having squash with barley and see if you react to it. If not, it might be something else.

I'm a big fan of single malt whisky and never had any problems after drinking that stuff.
I'm a big fan of single malt whisky and never had any problems after drinking that stuff.

It’s likely not gluten, then.

Sandwiches have gluten, the sauce in curry probably has gluten.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/diet-lifestyle-and-medicines/
Original post by Muttley79
Sandwiches have gluten, the sauce in curry probably has gluten.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/diet-lifestyle-and-medicines/

Mate, correct me if I'm wrong but basically everything on earth has gluten in it in some way, like I said I have some things with gluten in and am absolutely fine
That's exactly the thing. I don't trust NHS doctors, they do literally the bare minimum and will diagnose you with something where they don't actively have to treat you so they can save money, that or they leave it until its way too late to treat efectively.

It does seem to be after I've eaten things like bread, cakes pasta, so gluten etc but according to the doctors I don't have coeliac. However the hospital lab was recently found that they weren't doing blood tests correctly so again, I don't trust them.

NHS doctors are just like any other doctor in the UK. They have to go through the same medical school training to reach a standard and then have to be revalidated to ensure they are providing good quality care. They have performed tests on you and they believe it is IBS. If you aren’t satisfied go back to the GP
Ok so the doctor I saw today was much better and more thorough he actually stuck a finger up my a*as which was a bit weird but it was okay nothing there. Got to do a FIT test and then potentially a colonoscopy
For the past year I've had chronic stomach issues. When I go to defecate, the stools are loose, very runny, and explosive. It's like a combination of diarrohea but also constipation because it is often difficult to come out. I have cramps and aches. The bouts are usually brought on after eating lunch. I'm not sure what exactly would cause it, it cant be wheat as i have shredded wheat for breakfast every day and its usually fine after that. My stomach is like this when I go to the toilet like 75-80% of the time. It's so bad I even lost my job partly because of it, because I was in the toilet for prolonged periods of time trying to go, and then having to clean up after which was quite embarassing because of how bad it was. I also have excessive flactuence and its very hard to hold it in.

Been to the doctors and they've sent me for blood tests for coeliac etc and its all clear. My mum was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis aged 25, and her father died of bowel cancer. The doctors just say its "IBS" but aren't offering anything to actually help me with it. It's impacting my life in quite a large way, its makijng me even more anxious in social situations because I know there's a very good chance I will fart at least twice.

Can someone please enlighten me, I am going back to the docs with my mother this time to try and convince them that this isn't just IBS. my diet is absolutely fine and it hasn't changed one bit. I exercise 4-5 tiomes a week( a lot of the time the farting is in the gym and its unstoppable), I thought it might be the SSRIs i was on causing them but i changed and tis still the same.

Hi there , This is a little late but I am someone with UC and my parent also had UC(IBD) until they also got cancer and had surgery when I showed initial symptoms my mum immediately went to the doctors and demanded a colonscopy I think the reason why they did it so fast is because she is also a medical professional , I think you should tell them about your parents history and request a colonoscopy and make it sound BAD thats literally the only way they'll MAYBE agree to it.

Quick Reply

Latest