The Student Room Group

Kwasi Kwarteng out

He's been fired. Apparently it's Jeremy Hunt or Sajid Javid instead. Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

I just laugh at this point, politicians act like this country is just a game with football teams you can switch and change as much you want. It truly is embarrassing she chose him then sacked him 6 weeks later like c’mon you must have known roughly what he would have been like and his policies and yet still chose him 🙄
We really could do with some continuity which we just haven’t had these last 5 years.
Update: Jeremy Hunt is the new chancellor
Relatively pleased with the new appointment, there were many far worse options
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Update: Jeremy Hunt is the new chancellor

I'm sure there's meant to be a C in his name. :eek4:
Absolutely ridiculous during covid and an appalling shambles that makes a laughing stock of English politics. :facepalm:

Goodness knows what is wrong with the Conservative backbenchers and the 1922 committee. :thumbsdown:
Their reckless actions are paving the way for the opposition to table a no confidence motion that could hand Labour the keys to no10 before 2023 and render the Conservative Party unelectable until the end of the next decade. :mad2::mad2::mad2:
Reply 6
I really think this could be the end of the conservative party. They have successfully destroyed themselves. What did they expect voting Liz Truss for their leader, someone who is vain glory.

There are enough outsiders trying to destroy the conservative party without members within doing all the work for them. Those people who brought Boris down - are they Trojan Horse subversive members?

The calibre of political leaders right now across all parties is dreadful. I can truly start to understand why some countries have a coup. Courage, vision, fortitude.
Reply 7
Original post by londonmyst
Absolutely ridiculous during covid and an appalling shambles that makes a laughing stock of English politics. :facepalm:

Goodness knows what is wrong with the Conservative backbenchers and the 1922 committee. :thumbsdown:
Their reckless actions are paving the way for the opposition to table a no confidence motion that could hand Labour the keys to no10 before 2023 and render the Conservative Party unelectable until the end of the next decade. :mad2::mad2::mad2:

PRSOM
Pathetic.
Original post by Vertigo_descent
Pathetic.

An apt summary of our now former Chancellor.

Good? I mean this decade+ of Tories is awful and it's not like they didn't do it all themselves willingly.. And I'm proper sick of the ideas of the 'good' tories turning it all around, anything meeting that description was hounded out a long time ago. They are basically a cult now imo. loyalty and dogma above all.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 04MR17
Relatively pleased with the new appointment, there were many far worse options

Are you sure? This is the man who cut social care when he was health secretary. The reason the NHS is in such dire straights is directly because of the decisions he took. The reason ambulances have to queue up in A+E is because there are no beds in hospitals and the reason all the beds in hospital are full is because there is no social care to support people who should be discharged. He did that. Boris' whittering on about building new hospitals is a red herring. We don't need new hospitals. We need more social care and care in the community.

And now C*** - I mean Hunt is in charge of money for the whole country...!!!

For those who remember the last Tory government in the 80s and 90s, nothing has changed. They screwed things up then and they are screwing things up again.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hotpud
Are you sure?

I think they more meant he can wear a suit and comb his hair, eat his lunch without dropping it etc. I think we need to be honest about how low the bar is.
Original post by StriderHort
I think they more meant he can wear a suit and comb his hair, eat his lunch without dropping it etc. I think we need to be honest about how low the bar is.

Oh come on. That is a bit of a gutter argument. No one needs to stoop that low. If you are going to judge at that level, bring Kwasi Kwarteng back right now!
Original post by hotpud
Oh come on. That is a bit of a gutter argument. No one needs to stoop that low. If you are going to judge at that level, bring Kwasi Kwarteng back right now!

No! he couldn't wear a suit without looking like his mum had sewn him into it for church!

You don't think we're in the gutter already?
Original post by hotpud
Are you sure? This is the man who cut social care when he was health secretary. The reason the NHS is in such dire straights is directly because of the decisions he took. The reason ambulances have to queue up in A+E is because there are no beds in hospitals and the reason all the beds in hospital are full is because there is no social care to support people who should be discharged. He did that. Boris' whittering on about building new hospitals is a red herring. We don't need new hospitals. We need more social care and care in the community.

And now C*** - I mean Hunt is in charge of money for the whole country...!!!

For those who remember the last Tory government in the 80s and 90s, nothing has changed. They screwed things up then and they are screwing things up again.

Please don't get me wrong - I still despise the man. However, all the decisions you mentioned (which I disagree with) were all made in the belief that that was the right thing to do. I know it wasn't, you know it wasn't, but that's what Jeremy Hunt believes. Since May left, our government have not been doing things because they believe it's the right thing to do. Instead, they have been doing things that suit their own private interests.

Am I claiming that didn't happen since 2010? No. I am claiming that under Cameron and under May, government made brutal and unpopular choices (which I personally disagree with) because they believed that is what is right for the country. With a handful of dodgy deals happening with very little press coverage. Under Johnson and (seemingly so far) Truss, the government have been making decisions entirely based on what best suits their own pockets and that of their friends, and there is no cover up - it is blatant. Hancock's dealings are the best possible example.

I put Hunt as part of the Cameron/May camp of Tories, I may be wrong about that, but I am willing to see. It's not about whether they can dress properly (I am not that fickle), it is about whether they believe in their actions regardless of self interest.
Original post by StriderHort
Good? I mean this decade+ of Tories is awful and it's not like they didn't do it all themselves willingly..
And I'm proper sick of the ideas of the 'good' tories turning it all around, anything meeting that description was hounded out a long time ago. They are basically a cult now imo. loyalty and dogma above all.

I'd have preferred Mordaunt or Patel to Truss.
But I'll gladly suffer any of the three to avoid a Labour government or risk an informal Labour-SNP alliance scaring all the rodents away from Downing Street.
There are far too many dripping wets that are yet to be hounded out of the Conservative Party but still plenty of Thatcherite tories around to get the job done. :tongue:
I'd have preferred Mordaunt or Patel to Truss.
But I'll gladly suffer any of the three to avoid a Labour government or risk an informal Labour-SNP alliance scaring all the rodents away from Downing Street.
There are far too many dripping wets that are yet to be hounded out of the Conservative Party but still plenty of Thatcherite tories around to get the job done. :tongue:

Oh no, not Patel. I haven't heard anything negative about Mordaunt, though. Thoughts on her?
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Oh no, not Patel. I haven't heard anything negative about Mordaunt, though. Thoughts on her?

Mordaunt was my preferred option after Boris resigned.
I do disagree with her stance on a few things including working with the Bush presidential campaign while a uk parlimentary candidate, meeting with senior MCB personnel and increasing all welfare benefits in line with inflation.
Perhaps Mr Kwarteng should be awarded a bravery medal for having had to suffer the MP's in the house b*tching party and then be allowed to escape?

Not confined to the Tories this b*tching seems so blatantly obvious at every level of politics in every party. Can you imagine if we had a cross census party agreement to revitalise the country, get all people out of their dressings gowns and sofas and get everyone back to work for the countries sake?

The past 30 years has created a bear trap of ill thought out legislation designed to protect workers with 'human rights' and the rest, but in reality it has been abused by the world, removing large sums of money very easily from the UK tax payer,
killed off entrepreneurs, removed employees from the market place and created an "I'm too precious to work for less than £12/hour generation" of many people expecting to be spoon fed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending