The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I agree to an extent that some people have a tendency to apply for courses that when you think of it realistically they have very little chances of getting into, but the way I see it is that it is their choice and who knows maybe having that added bit of pressure will inspire them to work all the harder.

What I hate is as you said those people who tell you that your not allowed to worry about an exam because your bound to ace it! What happens then when you don't ace the exam eh? Thanks to them saying that your gonna feel like an idiot when you tell them the result.

You know what else I hate.... Overall I am not naturally intelligent, but I do have one subject I get excellent results in without doing any work while most of my others are either average or good. Yet when I tell people I worked harder for the B in one subject than the high A in the other they refuse to believe me.
Well, I think the people that say 'Oh My God, that exam was really hard' and a few months later they end up getting A's. Why do that? GRRR! I do hold respect for those who have worked hard to achieve high grades. Me, I put alot of work in but seem to fall short of my potential. Its a shame but I think you work even more to try and better yourself.
Reply 42
'the most annoying thing is when the clever ones that have been prodicted A's for a whole year come out of an exam saying 'oh ive failed oh ive failed' when they blatently wont have.'

I do that though, to be fair. Mainly because if you come out of an exam going, 'oh that was ok' you end up looking like a wise - ass, and then if you DO fail, you look silly
Reply 43
I used to get annoyed for then, rather than at them. It just seems so stupid, why choose to carry on with education if you're going to piss about and get E's and U's? I realise that, for some people, under some circumstances, these may be the best results they can hope for. But for the majority of people who get them, it isn't, so why waste your time?
Reply 44
Maybe.so
'the most annoying thing is when the clever ones that have been prodicted A's for a whole year come out of an exam saying 'oh ive failed oh ive failed' when they blatently wont have.'

I do that though, to be fair. Mainly because if you come out of an exam going, 'oh that was ok' you end up looking like a wise - ass, and then if you DO fail, you look silly

just say nothing or say you don't know
Reply 45
ViolatedTreason
i didnt do so well in my A-Levels, but i know i worked as much as i could... and it pisses me off when people like yourself call us underachievers just because we didnt get good grades.. maybe we worked as best as we could, but didnt understand something in the exams, or had personal problems around the exams, and they didnt go so well..

edit: the people who dont give a damn and dont work still piss me off lol

Agreed 100%.
OP have you even considered this? Many people don't get straight A's because of personal problems during their studies, or because they didn't understand something- this doesn't mean they are thick or an 'under-achiever' . I think you sound very arrogant in all fairness. I understand where you're coming from when people don't even try, skip lessons, then fail, but that's their life. Whereas some people just generally aren't as good at understanding some things but by no means does that mean they under achieve. I know close family friends who have gone on to be millionaires as an entrepreneur, having never gone to university and who got rubbish grades at GCSE. Just goes to show that stereotyping people who don't do as well academically, saying they're under achievers or thick, has no basis to stand on.
Reply 46
AmberB
Agreed 100%.
OP have you even considered this? Many people don't get straight A's because of personal problems during their studies, or because they didn't understand something- this doesn't mean they are thick or an 'under-achiever' . I think you sound very arrogant in all fairness. I understand where you're coming from when people don't even try, skip lessons, then fail, but that's their life. Whereas some people just generally aren't as good at understanding some things but by no means does that mean they under achieve. I know close family friends who have gone on to be millionaires as an entrepreneur, having never gone to university and who got rubbish grades at GCSE. Just goes to show that stereotyping people who don't do as well academically, saying they're under achievers or thick, has no basis to stand on.

also aggreed on 100%, this is what i was trying to stress across in my view, but it must have come across wrong?
That doesn't sound like underachieving to me. Sounds like laziness. Underachieving is someone that does put in at least some effort, should be getting AAA, and gets CCC instead.
Probably because they're not suited to the style of exams (in a "too intelligent" way), or because their extra work consists of reading too much into things/reading around the subject too much.
Joanna May
Well if you're predicted an A and you get a C, obviously you're going to feel less intelligent than before. I hate people who thought it was funny how upset I was when I got a C not an A. Everyone wants to meet their predictions, so just because you would have settled for a C, doesn't mean everyone else would be happy to. Some people need better grades than you, so to them a C might as well be a U, if it means they don't get what they need to go to uni.

fair enough, but dont say it around people who are getting lower grades than you, and call yourself thick... what does that make me to her then.. a total inbreed?
fantasystar38
A friend of mine calls her subjects piss easy and get's D's in them! A girl who is most definately not my friend got an E in her Chemistry AS, and now presumes to tell ME what to do in class!

:rolleyes:
Reply 50
Its not enough to only succeed others must fail
Well, if we're having a rant, then I am fed up the majority of 'overachievers', who firstly feel the need to point out 'I am an A grade student' at every oppurtunity possible, think getting a B grade is basically suicide worthy, and then whine on TSR for months saying 'Oh I totally ****** up my physics exam, I've so failed', when you clearly have NO idea what the word ''fail'' means, somewhere along the line obviously told you B or less = might as well have gotten U. And then whilst waiting for results, go on for months about 'Oh I can tell I've done really badly' when you've applied for Oxbridge, so you obviously know you're not going to have done terribly, whilst there are others who Know they probably have D's in everything and it's just insulting. And you get offers from the top universities in the country and then cry because you don't get into Oxbridge or LSE, when some of us are struggling to a uni like number 40 in the league table.

So yeah, point is, stop whining about ''underachievers'' when you clearly have no idea what it is like to underachieve - And whilst all you have to put up with is "underachievers whining", they have to leave sixth form/college with grades that would probably put you into depression, so I think they have it worse off than you.

EDIT: This isn't directed at you btw OP.. well, apart from the last sentence :smile:
ArcadiaHouse
:rolleyes:

I'm a scientist, my SPG isn't the best :p:
Does it really bother you that much? :confused: Drink some Lilt, CHILL and get on with your own life.
Reply 54
get back to work! theres homework to be done you know!
Reply 55
look at it this way the more people who fail...the less you have to compete with in the job market in the future or at AAA universities :smile:
No. People who feel that they have something to prove by trying too hard annoy me.
Reply 57
deazle
get back to work! theres homework to be done you know!

terry talk to me!? whats this non sense i come in here this woman with two cabbages ona about her getting 3 A's?! turns out shes a facking man!!
Reply 58
Technically someone could get CCC and that'd be overachieving, someone else could get AAB and that'd be underachieving, cos everyone is different.
blueberrymuffin
hang on. are you trying to say that BBB is underachievement????

For some people it is.
If your predicted AAA, then of course your going to feel disappointed at BBB.

Magic Potion
Well, I think the people that say 'Oh My God, that exam was really hard' and a few months later they end up getting A's. Why do that? GRRR!

Perhaps because they did find the exam hard?? I had 100% in two of my AS modules, doesn't mean I didn't find them difficult though.

Latest

Trending

Trending