The Student Room Group

Changing Uni during 2nd year but ran out of student finance?

Just need a bit of help! (:

So I'm currently in my 2nd year of uni, and am hopefully transferring to another uni across the country where I am relocating in the summer, onto the same course. However, my grades aren't amazing (I suffer from anxiety and ADD which has massively affected my studies) and so the new uni said they could only take me for entry onto 1st year.
However the 2 years at my current uni + 3 years new uni = 5, and I know you only usually get 4 years (3 and gift year). So I would be missing one year of funding.

So could I go for Compelling Personal Reasons as a reason for the extra year of funding that I need, as my mental health difficulties have impacted my grades so significantly?

I have been to see my GP lately and have a diagnosis now.

Could I get this extra year from SFE due to my circumstances, do you think? If this is unlikely, could I maybe use my maintenance loan to pay my tuition fees via a payment plan or something?

I'm being a big stress-head over this atm so any help will be massively appreciated, thanks. (: <3
Hi @Lil Red,

Definitely speak to SFE!

Suffering from anxiety myself, I know (with proof of diagnosis and impact) they can offer some support in terms of funding. If you explain your circumstances, i believe they may be able to pause funding or issue an extra year of funding until you are enrolled into your transferred university.

They are really helpful over the phone and could probably put your mind at rest if you explain the situation.

I would recommend sorting it out sooner rather than later, just so they have time to put everything in order and to check over evidence!

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie
Original post by Lil Red
Just need a bit of help! (:

So I'm currently in my 2nd year of uni, and am hopefully transferring to another uni across the country where I am relocating in the summer, onto the same course. However, my grades aren't amazing (I suffer from anxiety and ADD which has massively affected my studies) and so the new uni said they could only take me for entry onto 1st year.
However the 2 years at my current uni + 3 years new uni = 5, and I know you only usually get 4 years (3 and gift year). So I would be missing one year of funding.

So could I go for Compelling Personal Reasons as a reason for the extra year of funding that I need, as my mental health difficulties have impacted my grades so significantly?

I have been to see my GP lately and have a diagnosis now.

Could I get this extra year from SFE due to my circumstances, do you think? If this is unlikely, could I maybe use my maintenance loan to pay my tuition fees via a payment plan or something?

I'm being a big stress-head over this atm so any help will be massively appreciated, thanks. (: <3

Hi there, The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:
- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons.
More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year
Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending