The Student Room Group

I feel drained by my family

So I'm the oldest and my family expects a lot from me. I do live with my finance so mum and brother who is 20 years old live together. The thing is whenever there is something to do I'm the first one that get called. For example, when there is a repair in the house so mum ask me to report to the repair team. When my brother needs something I'm the one that gets called, all sort of questions etc. The main thing that frustrates me is that my younger sister who lives with her bf doesnt get bothered as much as I do. She only comes when she wants and does what she only wants to do as well. You will be lucky if you get a quick reply from her too. I feel like she gets away with alot of things and whenever I say no then there will be a big deal. We are going on family trip shortly to another continent, I paid for the ticket. The ticket money I got is from a loan i took out or else I wouldn't afford it. The total was £2400 and mum covered the hotel booking which was like £700. My sister is not gojng as she didn't finish her paperwork to travel. Now after we got back from the trip I'm going to pay back the money which is an instalment payment that lasts 3 year. And also I pay rent for mum and brother as mum is single parent. I earn decent but my money is now going to paid off the debts I have. When I came home today my brother didn't pack his and i felt so tired as I needed. I had an argument with my. Partner as well as he said why do u have to do everything in the house and that my family expects alot from me as I'm too nice and can't say no. He said that I have my own life now anI should be focused of life. I'm getting married next year and I struggled to find a suitable venue and I had to do all that myself. They suggested me few ideas and that was it. Whenever I let them know that few plans have changed they don't say anything or even bothered. Finally I decide not to have a big wedding as I didn't get enough support from them. Not sure what to do now as I feel like I'm drained and not have got much energy
you have every right to feel annoyed in such a situation. I think u need to speak to ur parents and let them know that you cant do this all by urself and that u have 2 other siblings.Parents sometimes dont even realise how they act . If they arent willing to split the costs i think its time for u to leave. The fact ur parents only pester u for money says a lot abt their character and how they value u in the family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending