The Student Room Group

UCAS Extra with offers already firmed/insured

I've firmed and insured two offers and am wondering would both these offers immediately be declined if I was to apply to another course?

I've seen that there is a vacancy in Uni of Nottingham's Economics course which is better than my uni for my future career. Idk if ill apply if it declines my other offers due to the risk of not getting an offer and ending up at a uni worse than mine.
yes they will, i did this last year
Reply 2
Did you call them beforehand to see if your chances of getting in were good before applying?
Original post by orangejuze
yes they will, i did this last year
Original post by aweller08
Did you call them beforehand to see if your chances of getting in were good before applying?

Yes I think that’s best, just to be on the safer side!

yes, that is advised before you drop your two offers, or you can email them around their opening hours and they tend to reply very quickly.
Reply 5
Original post by JJ <3
Yes I think that’s best, just to be on the safer side!

yes, that is advised before you drop your two offers, or you can email them around their opening hours and they tend to reply very quickly.

Can they give out like a verbal offer before dropping the two other offers or do they just say whether you have a chance or not?
Can they give out like a verbal offer before dropping the two other offers or do they just say whether you have a chance or not?

it depends on certain aspects like how many have applied through extra or your application in itself. i applied from a different subject so had to fill in things like do a new personal statement and motivation statement. if the subject is similar they will not need anything more from you. if competitive then they will say if it's possible like they told me, and tell you to apply and wait for a decision. but if it's not as competitive, yes you can definitely get a verbal offer, which they will tell you on email or on the phone and you can apply on extra soon after, where you will expect to get a confirmation that day or the next few days.
(edited 1 year ago)
i should also add that if they don't give an offer, it's a definite risk. i actually didn't get in on extra because others had a preferred subject that i didn't do. but they emailed me saying i could apply the year after and receive an unconditional offer provided i met certain requirements because they liked what i'd written. i didn't end up taking the offer, and will be going to a different university this september.
Reply 8
it depends on certain aspects like how many have applied through extra or your application in itself. i applied from a different subject so had to fill in things like do a new personal statement and motivation statement. if the subject is similar they will not need anything more from you. if competitive then they will say if it's possible like they told me, and tell you to apply and wait for a decision. but if it's not as competitive, yes you can definitely get a verbal offer, which they will tell you on email or on the phone and you can apply on extra soon after, where you will expect to get a confirmation that day or the next few days.

Ah okay, thanks for the info. I reckon I'll email them and if I get a verbal offer ill do it and if not I don't think I will.
Ah okay, thanks for the info. I reckon I'll email them and if I get a verbal offer ill do it and if not I don't think I will.

no problem, good luck with it! :biggrin:

They are not allowed to makre you an offer. Under ucas rules this is classed as poaching. You can only apply through extra if you are holding no offers so you would need to give up both your current offers. They would be able yo tell you whether they still have vacancies. If a university still has vacancies and you meet the conditions you are highly likely to get an offer as they will want to fill spaces,
Reply 11
Original post by swanseajack1
They are not allowed to makre you an offer. Under ucas rules this is classed as poaching. You can only apply through extra if you are holding no offers so you would need to give up both your current offers. They would be able yo tell you whether they still have vacancies. If a university still has vacancies and you meet the conditions you are highly likely to get an offer as they will want to fill spaces,

Is it still highly likely even if it’s through extra and not clearing?
(Original post by aweller08)Is it still highly likely even if it’s through extra and not clearing?

Yes it is. If a university still has places they want to fill them. It is money to them. They would rather fill them now than risk clearing. If you meet their entry criteria and have a reasonable PS and reference which basically everyone will have they are almost certain to make you an offer. The issue is whether ot not they have filled their spaces.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending