The Student Room Group

Reading Uni - Speech & Lang Therapy??

Hi , does anyone here have any experience of studying this course at Reading Uni? I like campus very much. But am considering how the course is conducted. If it is quite theiretical. Or a mix with practical. Can anyone help?
Original post by Grace177
Hi , does anyone here have any experience of studying this course at Reading Uni? I like campus very much. But am considering how the course is conducted. If it is quite theiretical. Or a mix with practical. Can anyone help?

Hey @Grace177

I'm just finishing my third year studying SLT at Reading so have one year left to go, and I've loved it up to now!
I'm not going to lie to you, it is a very intense course, but sooo interesting and rewarding. There's an on-site clinic too specifically for SLT patients which you may end up on placement in, and everyone does some observation days in there, which really helps consolidate learning.

It is a lot of theory to cover as it is such a broad field, but that's why it's spread over 4 years and a lot of the content is conducted in seminar-style sessions, meaning it's discussion based, group work, or practicals with patient's sometimes coming in to give their experiences and offer Q&A's, etc. There's also a lot of placements throughout the course which really helps you put all that theory into practice. It can seem overwhelming at first with all the information, but I find placements really help it all make sense! You will do some observation placements in year one in nurseries, schools and elderly care settings (I believe), then in year 2 you are focusing primarily on paediatrics, so you will do 2 different placements based around children, and year 3 is centred around adults, so again, 2 more placements based in adult settings, so I've just finished a placement in hospitals on hyperacute stroke wards, which was amazing. Year 4 is a big chunk of placement, where I *think* you do a block of adults and a block of paediatrics.
The 2 year MSc is structured slightly differently obviously, and I'm not entirely sure how it works for that cohort, but for the MSci, that's been my experience so far, so there really is a good balance of theory and practical I'd say - which you definitely need!

The lecturers are also all so lovely which really makes a difference too. They are all practising clinicians, or had clinical experience in various fields, so really know their stuff, and they are all so approachable and encouraging, which makes having any worries or concerns really easy to sort out as they're always willing and ready to try and help you wherever they can.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know about the course or Reading that I can help you with?:smile:

Skye
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student

Quick Reply

Latest