The Student Room Group

Got nothing to do over summer

I’ve been applying for summer internships since first year of university and I used to get rejected at the interview stage. I’m about to graduate soon and I finally got a summer internship. I started looking for summer jobs in January and got accepted onto this internship in March. Since then I have completed all the training, certifications, paperwork and references… only to be ghosted by the company.

I wish they had just rejected me outright. It’s now the end of June and I move out for postgrad at the end of August. I have no plans in the next two months.

All my friends are on holiday and it’s too expensive for me to book a holiday at this time. All the volunteering I’ve looked at require a three month commitment which I can’t fulfil. I’m also struggling to find volunteering. I don’t know where to look for unpaid internships unless I beg my manager from last year to take me back? I’ve been applying to atleast a dozen part time/temp jobs a day since mid June and again cannot get past the interview stage.

I hate having so much free time with nothing to do. I’ve started watching Grays Anatomy and I just binge through episodes everyday. I miss my old jobs at uni it’s so boring at home and I’m losing my mind.

I wish I wasn’t so unlucky. Every summer for the past few years I’ve been reading, doing online courses, trying to learn a language. And now I’ll be doing the same thing again and it’s so boring and depressing. I don’t know what to do :frown:
Reply 1
Oh It's tough, isn't it? getting that first break, the first internship, the first job etc Have you ever asked for feedback from your interviews? if you are getting to interview stage it means you've got a very good CV and employers are interested in you but there's something about your interview technique that needs to be fine tuned. That's the first hurdle.
The company that 'ghosted' you have you got a contact number or email for them? did they tell you specifically when they will get back to you?

What sort of field are you in that requires 3mths min to volunteer? If you state what your field is, posters might be able to signpost you better.
Nothing wrong with asking your old manager to take you back. Sometimes we have to grovel a bit to get to where we want to be, I'd look at it as making use of contacts, networking - they already know you and know what your work is like, why wouldn't you contact them as backup? it makes sense.

Please do not be disheartened by the rejections, every rejection brings you closer to the job you want but it's hard out there at the moment. Continue with what you are doing and I wish you every bit of luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been applying for summer internships since first year of university and I used to get rejected at the interview stage. I’m about to graduate soon and I finally got a summer internship. I started looking for summer jobs in January and got accepted onto this internship in March. Since then I have completed all the training, certifications, paperwork and references… only to be ghosted by the company.

I wish they had just rejected me outright. It’s now the end of June and I move out for postgrad at the end of August. I have no plans in the next two months.

All my friends are on holiday and it’s too expensive for me to book a holiday at this time. All the volunteering I’ve looked at require a three month commitment which I can’t fulfil. I’m also struggling to find volunteering. I don’t know where to look for unpaid internships unless I beg my manager from last year to take me back? I’ve been applying to atleast a dozen part time/temp jobs a day since mid June and again cannot get past the interview stage.

I hate having so much free time with nothing to do. I’ve started watching Grays Anatomy and I just binge through episodes everyday. I miss my old jobs at uni it’s so boring at home and I’m losing my mind.

I wish I wasn’t so unlucky. Every summer for the past few years I’ve been reading, doing online courses, trying to learn a language. And now I’ll be doing the same thing again and it’s so boring and depressing. I don’t know what to do :frown:

Stop complaining
You could always try and do some volunteering -I don’t know what you’re degree is in? But like places around your area may be looking for volunteers including heritage sites - not just room explainers or your guides but admin assistant or conservation assistants etc. Or get a summer job in retail, I know you said you’ve been trying at temp jobs but retail is hard but could pass some time. Additionally, you could try tutoring.

I would however suggest, if you’re nearing the end of your degree / studies - to enjoy your time off in the summer and just breathe. Once you finish uni you no longer - or tend not to - have the luxury of intended time off of multiple months

Latest

Trending

Trending