The Student Room Group

How do I appeal for a higher maintenance

I have just gotten my SFE accepted however it’s saying that my maximum maintenance for this year is £1,722. Which is very low, considering I just quit my job as I’m doing a placement now 40hours unpaid. As well as my mum is a single parent who makes around 17,000 a year. Last year I was working full time & I at least was able to get £3000 for the year.
How do I appeal?
Original post by j.bulan
I have just gotten my SFE accepted however it’s saying that my maximum maintenance for this year is £1,722. Which is very low, considering I just quit my job as I’m doing a placement now 40hours unpaid. As well as my mum is a single parent who makes around 17,000 a year. Last year I was working full time & I at least was able to get £3000 for the year.
How do I appeal?

Hey @j.bulan 👋

I had a similar issue with my student finance this year and received my letter saying I was getting less than I should.

I gave them a call and it turned out I had somehow ticked yes in the box "is this a paid placement", so check that yours definitely states it is an unpaid placement. I also had to upload supporting evidence, so I had a letter from my tutor / placement coordinator confirming this was a voluntary unpaid placement.

It can take about 6 weeks for SFE to process change of circumstances so give them a call soon as as you can. They were really friendly and helpful. Mine was eventually confirmed and I'm now getting the correct maximum payments.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Original post by j.bulan
How do I appeal?

Hi there, You may have selected that you are doing a paid placement, so we can check please contact us direct. You can do this by signing into your student finance account and accessing our live chat service where an advisor will be able to assist further. The service is available between 9am and 5.30pm Monday to Friday. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending